Eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inserian

I was curious about Alaska Statute 34.03.290(B). My rental agreement was terminated because (Failure to notify on-site manager when garbage disposal was leaking. Then 3 months later when dishwasher was leaking, in a timely manner.) Is this legal? We had no knowledge of the garbage disposal leaking and about 5 minutes knowledge of the dishwasher leaking. New management started about a year ago. I have lived at the same place for over 3 years without any problems whatsoever. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Your posting is a bit confusing. Alaska statute 34.03.290 addresses the amount of time required to terminate a lease (i.e., a week to week lease, a month to month lease).

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title34/Chapter03/Section290.htm

Although you have lived there for 3 years, what type of lease did you have? Yearly? Monthly? Weekly?

If either of the latter two, they can be terminated rather easily by either party (the tenant or the landlord) and honestly, no reason for terminating these need be provided, just simply adequate notice as your states laws require.

This is why month to month tenancies, while allowing flexibility in terminating this (if, for example, a tenant must move for employment or chooses to buy a new home), also provide less security should a landlord/management chose to end these.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail

P.S. This was not an eviction (only a court can grant an actual eviction) but rather a termination of what sounds like a short term lease.

If your lease was longer than a week to week or month to month tenancy, let us know, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back