ex-boyfriend refused to leave after 30days

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliettep

1/4-09
ex- boyfriend came out of jail wanted to stay for two weeks to get act together. I had to leave to see my mother in another state . When I got home ,he refused to leave and said he was there 30 days and had a right to stay in my apt. lease is in my name. I pay the rent he has never given me any
money. He I have caught him using drugs in my house that why I want him to leave.

Call the police regarding the drug use issue.

Police are often not likely to get into the prospect of removing someone who claims to be a tenant WITHOUT A COURT ORDER GRANTING AN EVICTION. They tend to cite this as a civil, not criminal matter.

Turning someone in for drug use is a criminal matter.

Gail

The problem is that you allowed him in to begin with... after that, your argument of who said what and what the agreement was is for a court to settle.

That said, if you told him that he could stay for two weeks, and his two weeks is up, then the sooner you get police involved and try to get him out the better. The longer you wait, the more he establishes himself there.

I am assuming that the two weeks has JUST ended... if so, throw him out. You can toss his stuff to the curb and do anything else you want to get him out and you won't face any consequences (though you may be threatened with some sort of action). Again, the longer you allow him to stay and get away from the original agreement, the more it appears that he stays with your consent and it is harder to get him out.

If you think he might be violent, call the police and ask them to standby to keep the peace while you toss him out. The ex will certainly complain, but the officer will likely tell him that he has a civil dispute and will not get involved other than to keep the two of you from gouging each other's eyes out.

The deal was a temporary two week stay- hold him to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back