Ex-Landlord problems/issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarthra

I had been renting one half of a duplex, for about 3 1/2 years. After the first year the lease was on a month to month basis. The end of August I received a letter from my landlord saying that he was terminating the lease and I had to be out by noon on September 31st. I just received a bill from my ex-landlord for a little over 1100 dollars.
I had gone in to pay September's Rent when the person in his office said that I couldn't write a check, all they would accept was cash from me. I was given no explanation as to why, I took the amount out of my bank a few days later and took it into the office. The bill I received says that I still owe September's rent, I can't find my receipt but I do have a bank statement showing the exact amount being withdrawn.
The bill I received from my ex-landlord stated that he considers my security deposit forfeited because of my supposedly not paying September's rent. There is also a charge for 125 in late fees for the months rent and charges for having the lawn mowed after I moved out. There was also a charge for having the carpets cleaned and something about having the place fogged due to the smell, which I had complained about 6 months before. The letter stated that either I pay the amount in full, make monthly payments or they will take me to court.
I'm a bit surprised and trying to figure out what my options are, I know I don't have that kind of money to pay all of that and to pay rent twice and not have my security deposit count towards any of it. I was out well before required and had keys turned in on the 20th of the month. I thought that after moving and turning in the keys I was not responsible for the lawn. I'm just at a bit of a loss.

You are right in nearly everything you said and he is wrong. He told you to be out by the 31st you were out by the 20th. It sounds like he set you up to take your deposit. The exact amount withdrawal in cash certainly corroborates your story though it will not be as good as a receipt. Did he write it from a receipt book? If so you can subpoena it.

I hate this BS landlords are always pulling about keeping security deposit for carpet cleaning. Unless there are abnormal stains carpet cleaning is not deductible. You do not have to maintain the yard after you surrender the keys. I hope you complained about the smell in writing because I dont' think you owe that either. I think your landlord is dishonest and you should file a suit against him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back