Expired 2 year lease, now on month to month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrobespecialty

Hello!

I live in San Francisco, California. In July 2007, I signed a 2 year lease with my former roommate to rent a 2 bedroom in-law. This past August 2009, my former roommate (lets call him roommate A) moved out. I subsequently found a new roommate (roommate B) to take over roommate A's room.

My name is on the original lease and since it has expired, I am currently living here as month to month. I would like to stay as a month to month tenant and not sign a new lease. The landlord would like me to sign (by myself without roommate B's signing as well) a new lease until May 2010. I find it strange that the landlord does not want the new roommate to be on the lease and just me only. He claims because I have lived here for 2 years, he only wants to deal with me.

In any event, can I refuse to sign a new lease and stay on as a month to month tenant? We are paying rent and utilities on time and have given no other cause to be evicted. I am hoping because at the least my name is still on the old lease (although roommate A, who's name was also on the lease moved out), I can still claim that the old lease is still valid even though roommate B has moved in. Thank you for your help!

In a rent controlled area in your state, a landlord cannot terminate a month to month lease without good cause:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtml#landlordsnoticetoend

If you have paid your rent and utilities on time you can simply refuse to sign a longer contract and your landlord will really have no reason to terminate the month to month leasing agreement.

Frankly, I wouldn't sign a longer lease with just your name on it. This would hold you totally responsible.

Gail

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I did not want to sign the lease by myself. And, I may just not want to stay until the end of May anyways. If I were to sign the lease and had trouble with the new roommate or want to move out, I'd have to pay everything. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back