facing eviction/yet landlord has done something illegal and asked me to vouch for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizcarjo

After many months of a legal dispute in tenant/landlord court, I was not paying rent because of 3 years of repairs which have constantly been ignored. Long story short - regardless the judge ruled in favor of the landlord even though they failed to make repairs of the dates the judge requested, We came to a verbal arrangement, and i am now just asking we be allowed to stay untill our new apartment opens up.
last week they were doing some work in our back room installing a gas line to the apartment upstairs. and asked us to lie to the inspector. saying that the pipe just put in has been there since before we moved in october 2005. They are now about to threaten us with the marshall, and no longer wish to keep up their side of the bargain. what kind of trouble can they get into illegally installing gas lines to obviously cover upsomething that was done wrong, and as a result there was a gas leak about two weeks ago. This pipe is making them VERY nervous, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
:confused:

These are two separate issues. Typically when an eviction is granted by a judge, it will be up to the Marshalls office to schedule this. It will be done according to how busy this office is in terms of handling other evictions.

Haven't a clue as to what trouble they can get into regarding the gas line. I'd imagine some kind of fine.

Gail

Something to think about... an improperly installed gas line can have the inspector deem the home uninhabitable... and so you are moving anyway.

having said that... I would certainly not hope that amateur home improvement folks installed a gas line properly.

Sounds like a great way to end up on the Darwin Awards.

Tell the inspector the truth.

Yep. After failing to do repairs and evicting you, I can't imagine why your landlord would expect you to cooperate for his benefit.
Stick it to 'em. Call up the Building Inspector and tip 'em off.

I would go one further. I would tell the Inspector that your Landlord asked you to LIE on his behalf in order to stay in the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back