First the Broken Glass, AND the Creepy Crawlies!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tguitargurl

Please advise,

My new hubby and I have lived in our apartment for just over six months. After many faulty promises by the landlord to repair our broken windows (ALL OF THEM are cracked and seeping freeezing air!) and tortoise-style movement by maintenance JUST to change the kitchen light bulb (he told us he "forgot cuz he had company"), we found bed bugs! :eek: MY husband went to complain and she gave us a checklist stating "I had a guy in 404, he brought those damn things in here!" She gave us a prep sheet and said someone was scheduled to clean Mar 16. Later that evening, after we had to throw out our ENTIRE bed set and TWO full sets of bedding (both were wedding gifts...one was Egyptian Cotton :yes: ..really.) the landlord absolutely insisted that we were the cause of the seemingly BUILDING-WIDE infestation. There are at least six mattress sets out in back by the trash, but apparently we're the first to report anything, and that made us responsible.

If we can't sleep comfortably in our apartment (its a studio, btw) shouldn't we get a discount on rent for the two weeks of mess we have to put up with?? We have pics of the bugs, the bed and the bruises to boot. Case or no case?

Please advise,

My new hubby and I have lived in our apartment for just over six months. After many faulty promises by the landlord to repair our broken windows (ALL OF THEM are cracked and seeping freeezing air!) and tortoise-style movement by maintenance JUST to change the kitchen light bulb (he told us he "forgot cuz he had company"), we found bed bugs! :eek: MY husband went to complain and she gave us a checklist stating "I had a guy in 404, he brought those damn things in here!" She gave us a prep sheet and said someone was scheduled to clean Mar 16. Later that evening, after we had to throw out our ENTIRE bed set and TWO full sets of bedding (both were wedding gifts...one was Egyptian Cotton :yes: ..really.) the landlord absolutely insisted that we were the cause of the seemingly BUILDING-WIDE infestation. There are at least six mattress sets out in back by the trash, but apparently we're the first to report anything, and that made us responsible.

If we can't sleep comfortably in our apartment (its a studio, btw) shouldn't we get a discount on rent for the two weeks of mess we have to put up with?? We have pics of the bugs, the bed and the bruises to boot. Case or no case?

You have a case.
You could hire an attorney to negotiate a settlement.
You could ask the landlord to break your lease, WITHOUT any penalties.
Or, you could contact the local agency that assists renters.
Start with your city hall to determine who handles these complaints in your area.
For example, in Detroit the 36th District Court provides information:

How can I file a complaint against my landlord?

If you feel that you have legitimate complaint against your landlord, you can contact the City of Detroit Rental Inspector regarding property repair at (313) 224-2733. You may also contact Legal Aid and Defender toll free at (877) 964-4700. It is important that you keep a record on everything that has occurred that will support your complaint (i.e. names, dates, problems, receipts etc). If you file a complaint against your landlord, it is illegal for the landlord to retaliate against you through such actions as raising your rent or having you evicted. If your landlord has ignored the legal process to have you evicted and locked you out of your rental property, you can contact the United Community Housing Coalition between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. at:

United Community Housing Coalition
220 Bagley Street
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 963-3310

http://www.36thdistrictcourt.org/realestate-faq.html

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Please advise,

Even if not I think I would be out of there ASAP.

By the way ARMY could the property owner be held responsible for the cost of the beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back