Former landlord is threatening to sue for Fraud after being released from lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslim

I was in business with another person and because of personal reasons had to leave the business and am no longer involved in any way. The lease was in my name but the landlord was willing to transfer the lease over to my former business partner. After they submitted a new application for the location we were renting and I put money down for my former business partner's security deposit, the landlord gave me a letter stating I was released from obligation for the original lease and the lease was continued under my former partner's name. Now, my former business partner has not paid rent, and the landlord has called saying that he will sue me for fraud because I gave him an, "untrustworthy tenant". I am not connected to the landlord in anyway other than being a former tenant. I had also made plans to work outside the United States and was part of the reason why I had to leave the business and transfer the lease over to my business partner. Can the landlord really sue me for fraud?

I was in business with another person and because of personal reasons had to leave the business and am no longer involved in any way. The lease was in my name but the landlord was willing to transfer the lease over to my former business partner. After they submitted a new application for the location we were renting and I put money down for my former business partner's security deposit, the landlord gave me a letter stating I was released from obligation for the original lease and the lease was continued under my former partner's name. Now, my former business partner has not paid rent, and the landlord has called saying that he will sue me for fraud because I gave him an, "untrustworthy tenant". I am not connected to the landlord in anyway other than being a former tenant. I had also made plans to work outside the United States and was part of the reason why I had to leave the business and transfer the lease over to my business partner. Can the landlord really sue me for fraud?

Can you be sued?
Sure, anyone can sue anyone they wish for a small filing fee and couple pieces of paper.
But, that isn't the question you should posit.
Does you landlord have a case against you for fraud?
First of all, fraud is not a tort, therefore it isn't actionable under civil law.
Fraud is generally a criminal offense.
From what you've related, you did nothing illegal, untoward, or actionable under the law.
You simply found a person to assume your lease obligation.
Your landlord accepted said person and transferred your lease to him.
That action allowed you to escape further liability under the lease.
Your landlord is casting bread upon the water, looking for a bigger fish to catch.
That fish doesn't appear to be you.
If I were you, I'd ignore any letters your landlord sends to you.
I wouldn't respond or correspond with him about anything.
You are under no obligation to respond to his non-legal communication.
If he sues you, he sues you.
He has no case, based upon your version of events.
If, however, he does sue you, he's got to locate you.
As you'll be out of the USA, service of legal process upon you will be all but impossible.
His lawsuit (if he brings one) will be in a small claims court or a court not of record.
The powers of such a court are very limited, especially when it comes to service to compel your appearance outside of the court's jurisdiction!
So, worry not, enjoy your new job; and do as many are doing - stay out of these here United States of a once great America.
In other words, when you get the heck outta Dodge City, don't look back, don't come back.
The fields are barren here, my friend.
Get out while they still allow it.

Thank you very much for your advice army judge! The landlord is supposed to call me tomorrow as I talked to him today when he couldn't contact my former business partner. I also have plans to meet with a lawyer to get a consultation on this matter. The landlord is have a bit of a slick personality and I wouldn't put it past him to continue to call until I pick up. Should I just completely ignore him?

Thank you very much for your advice army judge! The landlord is supposed to call me tomorrow as I talked to him today when he couldn't contact my former business partner. I also have plans to meet with a lawyer to get a consultation on this matter. The landlord is have a bit of a slick personality and I wouldn't put it past him to continue to call until I pick up. Should I just completely ignore him?

You have no legal obligation to speak with him.
What you choose to do, is your decision.
Why not change your number?
Or, unplug your phone.
Whatever you do,it's best to wait until you've spoken with your attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back