Funny business with a promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

envenomm

I work for a contracting company that holds a contract with the federal government. In Feb of 2004 I was asked to re-submit my resume because I was up for a promotion. Within the contracts, the promotion is just a paper promotion, the contracting company get more money for higher titled employees. In May of 2004 I was told by the federal employee that he had signed my paperwork approving my promotion in April. I had not even known that I had received a promotion. Each week I would follow up with my contracting boss to find out where the status of my promotion was. I was told I got the promotion and that it is in processes, basically being held up in the corp. office, but will be retro active to the date that it had become effective. I already knew that it was effective because I saw my title changed beginning May of 2004. June, July, August, September go by, still no change to my paycheck. In October it was time for my yearly review. I got the yearly review with a normal percentage pay raise, nothing to indicate a promotion. So I went directly to the corporate office. I received a second letter to reflect my new salary and review raise, which was the same percentage as before. The wording was changed from " and increase of 5% for your yearly review." to " and increase of 5% for you promotion to the title of...."the letter also stated my promotion became effective in October. I was confused, so I held a meeting with my Project manager to clarify if I got my promotion and the yearly increase or if it was just one increase. Basically, after talking with the Project manager, she stated that she personally held up my promotion stating that even though I was technically qualified in every aspect for the promotion, that personally she had a hard time giving me the promotion because she upset with how I left working for her 4 years and 3 positions ago. I was her network administrator, she hired a replacement that needed more education than training, and I worked with this employee for 3 months on my own time, with out getting paid on weekends and nights. Half the time the new employee would not show up for the help that I was offering. When the help that I was offering started to interfere with my new job, I told the new employee that I had to stop, I would still be able to answer any questions she had, but I wouldn't be able to be available like I used to. She then went to my Project manager and stated that I had left her high and dry. At the time of this accusation, I held a meeting with my project manager and told her why the new employee felt she was being left high and dry, and at the time I thought the situation had been taken care of. Now it came back to haunt me, not because I did it again, but because my project manager had a bad taste in her mouth. So I asked when the promotion became effective, her reply was I don't know, but I will find out. Still after almost a year not word. I Know the date of the promotion, and am now missing out on about $3000 in retro active pay, not to mention that I technically missed out on a review pay raise based on my new salary, because they were "combined together" to equal the 5% that I was originally going to get anyway. I had received numerous letters of accommodation, letters of recognition and excellence awards during the time prior to my promotion. Now it is time for my review period again. I have a bad taste in my mouth with this project manager. Has anything been done wrong on the project manager's/ corporate offices part. Is there anyway that I can still receive that back pay? :confused:

envenomm said:
I work for a contracting company that holds a contract with the federal government. In Feb of 2004 I was asked to re-submit my resume because I was up for a promotion. Within the contracts, the promotion is just a paper promotion, the contracting company get more money for higher titled employees. In May of 2004 I was told by the federal employee that he had signed my paperwork approving my promotion in April. I had not even known that I had received a promotion. Each week I would follow up with my contracting boss to find out where the status of my promotion was. I was told I got the promotion and that it is in processes, basically being held up in the corp. office, but will be retro active to the date that it had become effective. I already knew that it was effective because I saw my title changed beginning May of 2004. June, July, August, September go by, still no change to my paycheck. In October it was time for my yearly review. I got the yearly review with a normal percentage pay raise, nothing to indicate a promotion. So I went directly to the corporate office. I received a second letter to reflect my new salary and review raise, which was the same percentage as before. The wording was changed from " and increase of 5% for your yearly review." to " and increase of 5% for you promotion to the title of...."the letter also stated my promotion became effective in October. I was confused, so I held a meeting with my Project manager to clarify if I got my promotion and the yearly increase or if it was just one increase. Basically, after talking with the Project manager, she stated that she personally held up my promotion stating that even though I was technically qualified in every aspect for the promotion, that personally she had a hard time giving me the promotion because she upset with how I left working for her 4 years and 3 positions ago. I was her network administrator, she hired a replacement that needed more education than training, and I worked with this employee for 3 months on my own time, with out getting paid on weekends and nights. Half the time the new employee would not show up for the help that I was offering. When the help that I was offering started to interfere with my new job, I told the new employee that I had to stop, I would still be able to answer any questions she had, but I wouldn't be able to be available like I used to. She then went to my Project manager and stated that I had left her high and dry. At the time of this accusation, I held a meeting with my project manager and told her why the new employee felt she was being left high and dry, and at the time I thought the situation had been taken care of. Now it came back to haunt me, not because I did it again, but because my project manager had a bad taste in her mouth. So I asked when the promotion became effective, her reply was I don't know, but I will find out. Still after almost a year not word. I Know the date of the promotion, and am now missing out on about $3000 in retro active pay, not to mention that I technically missed out on a review pay raise based on my new salary, because they were "combined together" to equal the 5% that I was originally going to get anyway. I had received numerous letters of accommodation, letters of recognition and excellence awards during the time prior to my promotion. Now it is time for my review period again. I have a bad taste in my mouth with this project manager. Has anything been done wrong on the project manager's/ corporate offices part. Is there anyway that I can still receive that back pay? :confused:
Sorry to hear about what happened.

1. Is there a complaint procedure within your company? If there is some type of human resources person, they would be the most likely person to know, or consult the employee manual if there is one. This is a good first step.

2. I don't know whether you are entitled to extra money as a result of a "promotion" on the company's contract. I'd be hopping mad too if as a result of your work the company could charge the government more money for your labor but you weren't seeing any of the benefits.

It happens all the time that people get "promotions" of a title in lieu of cash in order to make them happy. I'm not saying that this is the case here but there is no legal right that I am aware of that a change in title means you automatically get a raise. As it is, you might be in an at-will situation where you could be terminated at the will of your employer. At the same time, it is possible that the company doesn't want you to open your mouth because of what happened and will move to correct the wrong. I'd take the first step above to see what the procedure is. At this point I don't see things improving between you and your immediate supervisor. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back