Getting sued by landlord's insurance company

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicebullets

2 years ago i rented a house in calgary, while filling my fishtank, a filter broke and leaked water all over the house. it was flooded pretty good. i contacted my insurance company and my landlord and his insurance company. my insurance company said since none of my stuff was damaged, no claim needed to be set up. they said it was the homeowners insurance companys problem. i fully cooperated with the insurance company and we moved out. we even got our full damage deposit back.

now almost 2 years later, the landlords ins. company is coming after me for the money and my ins. company says; since no claim was filed within a year of the flood they don't have to help me.

doesnt sound right to me. PLEASE HELP! I cant afford to be sued!

also, we were liviing there after our lease was up, month to month with no paperwork

Last edited:
Your insurance talked you out of filing a claim.

The liability portion of your renter's policy should have covered your negligence or error.

It might if you speak with your company and offer an explanation that you tried to file.

You'll need any proof and supporting documentation.

In the interim, if I were you, I'd lawyer up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you very much, i figured with my luck i was screwed! so short of phone records i have of me calling my insurance company several times the day of and shortly after, i have no paperwork or documentation saying they talked me out of filing? and talking me out of filing is legal?

nicebullets said:
thank you very much, i figured with my luck i was screwed! so short of phone records i have of me calling my insurance company several times the day of and shortly after, i have no paperwork or documentation saying they talked me out of filing? and talking me out of filing is legal?
No, you aren't necessarily screwed.
Try speaking with your insurer again.
Ask them if they have a record of your call.
There might be notes in your file.
If they do, ask them if there has been a misunderstanding, and let them know you want to file a claim against your liability protection.
They'll have a record of the adjuster's prior visit.
Tell them that the adjuster misunderstood, because nothing has happened.
Be nice, very, very, nice!
You might be surprised and get help.
You've got nothing to lose.

If they do, ask them if there has been a misunderstanding, and let them know you want to file a claim against your liability protection.

My insurance company says since I didn't file a claim within a year . They can't help me. it seams wrong what the other insurance company is doing, is this just a last ditch effort to get paid or can they actually win????? I wasn't being negligent so can they still sue???

Army judge, thank u so much for ur time, ur words of wisdom helped guide me through a very stressful situation and my ins. Company has decided to help me after all! Thanks again, u should get paid for your time.

nicebullets said:
Army judge, thank u so much for ur time, ur words of wisdom helped guide me through a very stressful situation and my ins. Company has decided to help me after all! Thanks again, u should get paid for your time.

I've been paid all my life.
I enjoy doing this, helping others.
The law has been very good to me.
I enjoy giving back.
I don't want to be paid anymore.
But, I will ask you to do something nice for someone, because you can and they need your help.
Gods luck and you're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back