Going to court for damages done by evicted tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingergamble

We evicted our Tenant last October (2012.) There were 2 months rent not paid in addition to $3000 in damages. She did not show to the first court hearing (eviction.) The second court hearing was 2 months ago and she was given the paperwork showing all damages and what was due. We were due to go to court April 4th, but her attorney has asked for a continuance. Since she has an attorney, should my husband and I retain one as well? If so, is there a good chance we can re-cupe some of the money? We have pictures and have documented very well all of the messages and emails showing she "was having trouble paying rent." Can anyone offer help/advice please?

Let's stipulate that you win this case and a judgment for $4,000. So what? She's a deadbeat. Deadbeats don't care about being sued. She can't pay you, but has money to hire a lawyer.

You don't get money, if you prevail,you get a legal IOU. Then you have to collect on that IOU. Honorable defendants pay without prompting. Deadbeats, run and hide.

Bottom line, you're likely to prevail, and never see a dime. Take some comfort, however, that this lawsuit will eventually impact this deadbeat's ability to rent easily in the future.

However, if you wish to pursue Debbie Deadbeat, you'd be smart to hire a lawyer, too. This old catfish you've hooked, might get away if you try to plead your case against him.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks a bunch Army Judge. I like the name as my husbands active duty Army.
I kept saying the same thing about her being able to hire an attorney, bit could not pay her rent. Ironic. Anywho, we do have her bank and routing number and she had been with the same employer for quite sometime. We're hoping if we win something to try and garnish her wages or what not. It just stinks having to get an atty now and fork out more money in addition to what we've lost. However, it's the principle of the matter and if a judgment is rendered against her, that will follow her until she pays up.
Thank you very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back