Got arrested, left things behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebunny

Hello,
A relative of mine was stupid enough to rent out a room to someone without even doing a basic search on Google for their name. This person has disappeared for a few weeks and then through internet search it turned out that not only does their disappearance date coincide with an arrest on charges like larceny and fraud, they have a criminal record that extends across multiple decades and already includes over 4 years of incarceration, mostly on charges like larceny, fraud, possession of stolen goods, credit card theft, etc. As the public records show, this person was on probation at the moment of the arrest and this was not their first arrest since the probation came into effect. So, it's looking like they won't be getting out anytime soon. They left behind a wardrobe of really nice clothes, a flat screen TV and other things. The relative has a scan of this person's ID, which lists another address that's in the same area. What should the relative do?

Thank you.

I wonder if anything of his was stolen? You might contact the police & ask what you should do.

I'd contact the police and see if they'd take the belongings. Or, invite them to look through the stuff, in case they're looking for stolen property.

Barring that, contact the guy and ask him what he'd like done with the property. To do that, you might have to work with the jail authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back