Hacked emails used in custody battle

worried mommy

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I received a text message that an unknown person hacked into my emails and threatened to send them to my ex-husband to use in a custody battle. Can they be used in court?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Sounds like someone is trying to blackmail you. Which is a crime. Look up Indiana Section Code Section 35-45-2-1 and Indiana Section Code Section 35-45-2-2.

If you have a lawyer for your custody stuff, share the information with them.

If you do not currently have a lawyer, file a report with the police.

I received a text message that an unknown person hacked into my emails

So...the person who (allegedly) hacked into your emails is unknown. Is the person who texted you also unknown? Are the person who sent the text and who (allegedly) did the hacking the same person? Have you made any efforts to verify whether or not the hacking actually took place?

and threatened to send them to my ex-husband to use in a custody battle.

So...the person who sent the text threatened to send them to your ex? Or the person who (allegedly) did the hacking is threatening to send them to your ex? What do the emails say, and how might your ex use them? Who is/are the other parties to the emails?

Can they be used in court?

That depends on what "used" means. If, in fact, your ex and his attorney obtain emails as a result of either of them or someone else hacking into your account, then they might be inadmissible. However, if the emails in question would be something you'd be obligated to produce through discovery, they probably wouldn't be inadmissible. Even if they are inadmissible, there are a number of ways that they could be "used."

If you have a lawyer for your custody stuff, share the information with them.

If you do not currently have a lawyer, file a report with the police.

Concur.

Back