Harris Accused of PLAGERIZING Her Book in 2009!!!

army judge

Super Moderator
Democrat presidential nominee Kamala Harris has been accused of plagiarizing sections of her first book, published in 2009, after a renowned "plagiarism hunter" found multiple passages that closely resembled or were taken word-for-word from other sources without attribution.

Conservative activist Christopher Rufo independently verified and then published the purported lifted sections in Harris' book, "Smart on Crime: A Career Prosecutor's Plan to Make Us Safer," first surfaced by Austrian Stefan Weber. Harris co-authored the book with ghostwriter Joan O'C. Hamilton.

Rufo said the violations "are comparable in severity to the plagiarism found in former Harvard president Claudine Gay's doctoral thesis."

According to Rufo,
Harris lifted language from an Associated Press report verbatim, a John Jay College of Criminal Justice news release, a Bureau of Justice Assistance report, Wikipedia, and an Urban Institute report.

"Taken in total, there is certainly a breach of standards here," Rufo wrote. "Harris and her co-author duplicated long passages nearly verbatim without proper citation and without quotation marks, which is the textbook definition of plagiarism. They not only lifted material from sources without proper attribution, but in at least one case, relied on a low-quality source, which potentially undermined the accuracy of their conclusion."

Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance, Republican Donald Trump's running mate, noticed.

"Hi, I'm JD Vance. I wrote my own book, unlike Kamala Harris, who copied hers from Wikipedia," he wrote in a post to X.

Wrote Donald Trump Jr. in a post on X: "Yikes! More evidence that Kamala Harris is a fraud!!!"

When contacted by the New York Post, Harris' ghostwriter replied, "Oh gosh."

"I haven't seen anything," Hamilton told the Post. "I'm afraid I can't talk to you right now, though, I'm in the middle of something. Let me go try to figure that out."

Harris also is accused of plagiarizing the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the same book. The Telegraph reported that an anecdote in Harris' "Smart on Crime" book closely resembles one that King gave in an interview to Playboy magazine in 1965.

It was the work of Rufo and Christopher Brunet who outed former Harvard President Gay, whom they found plagiarized sections of her 1997 doctorate dissertation. Gay subsequently stepped down as president of Harvard but remains on staff as a professor of government and African American studies.

Harris has published four books overall, including a children's book titled, "Superheroes Are Everywhere."

Gee, if you find that shocking, then let's be fair and take note of the accusations made of Trump's alleged plagiarism.

Plagerism is, unfortunately, a common occurrence in politics by candidates of every party and every part of the political spectrum. How much the candidates actually know their statements contain plagerized material is another matter. Given how much political figures, particularly at high levels, rely on their speech writers, media consultants, campaign managers, etc to write up their materials I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the instances of alleged plagerism by public figures weren't intended by the public figure himself/herself but was due to a lazy staffer instead. That doesn't mean the public isn't accountable for it — they make the choice of whom they hire and are supposed to supervise them — but they may be a little less guilty if they weren't aware of where their staff came up with the stuff the staff provided them.

Gee, if you find that shocking, then let's be fair and take note of the accusations made of Trump's alleged plagiarism.

Nothing shocks me, mate.

Things do make me chuckle, giggle, even an occasional guffaw or two!!!

I've been granted many opportunities, along with super mental faculties.

I spent five years living and fighting in the jungles of southeast Asia. There's nothing on this planet I fear.

There are many things that cause me to smile, sometimes giggle, even laugh. One of those wonderful things was watching my children grow into outstanding human beings. To this day, I eagerly admit to paying it forward for my children, grandchildren, and even a couple great grandchildren, too!!!

I was saddened by a plagiarism scandal in law school. To this day, I often wonder why.

As far as Harris is concerned, she made choices, which are now being revealed. The he/she/it/they did it too, doesn't excuse the monkey in the barrel today.

Your link to the Daily Beast is a hit job on Trump from 2016 and it is such a stretch to call what they write about is plagiarism.

A Slogan With a Racist Past

In April, the Trump campaign began rolling out a new slogan: America First. "America First will be the major and overriding theme of my administration," Trump announced in a foreign policy speech. Unfortunately, "America First" was already claimed in the 1940s, by an American nationalist movement, which—among anti-semitic and isolationist campaigns—encouraged the country to do business with Hitler.

How many times do think the phrase America First has been written? You could not get a copyright on those two words because it is too generic. To call that plagiarism is just stupid.

Ben Carson's Opinions

In March 2016, Trump published an op-ed in the Pacific News Daily, a Guam newspaper. But the text of the article appeared to borrow heavily from an op-ed Trump's one-time rival Ben Carson had published in February. The op-eds are nearly identical in structure, with some sentences in Trump's article appearing almost exactly as they appeared in Carson's.

Words like similar and appearing do not denote plagiarism. Two examples from your link.

Harris, on the other hand, wrote verbatim the words in her book.

You should have been a magician, slight-of-hand and more gaslighting. ;)

Plagerism is, unfortunately, a common occurrence in politics by candidates of every party and every part of the political spectrum.

Even the BIG GUY did, as fact checked by SNOPES!!!!

Claim:
Then-U.S. Sen. Joe Biden withdrew from the 1988 presidential race after admitting to plagiarism and exaggeration of his academic record.

squelch the controversy, but it only worsened as other alleged instances of plagiarism came to light. On 16 September, Knight-Ridder reported that Biden had peppered a speech to the California Democratic Party with "verbatim" passages borrowed from a 1968 speech by the late Robert F. Kennedy. The next day, reports emerged that Biden had plagiarized a law review article in a paper he wrote during his first year in law school. The incident resulted in his receiving a failing grade in the class, which he had to retake the following year to have the "F" expunged from his record.

Biden called a press conference on 17 September in which he acknowledged the law-school incident but said it was simply a mistake, and that he had misunderstood the school's citation requirements. "I was wrong, but I was not malevolent in any way," he said. "I did not intentionally move to mislead anybody. And I didn't. To this day I didn't."

However, he maintained that the accusations about plagiarizing the words of other politicians were "much ado about nothing," saying it's commonplace for politicians to borrow from each other's speeches, and that it's "ludicrous" to expect otherwise. "I'm in the race to stay, I'm in the race to win, and here I come," Biden added.

In a gesture of transparency, Biden handed the media a 65-page file containing all of his academic records from the Syracuse University College of Law. Ironically, it was a move that only made matters worse. A comparison of the records to Biden's public statements revealed that he had exaggerated his academic accomplishments. "In a videotape aired by the public service cable network C-SPAN several months ago," the Associated Press reported (citing original reporting from Newsweek), "the Delaware Democrat was asked at a campaign stop in Claremont, N.H., on April 3 about what law school he attended and how well he did":

On the videotape, a clearly angered Biden told the questioner: "I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do.
"The first year in law school I decided I didn't want to be in law school and ended up in the bottom two-thirds of my class and then decided I wanted to stay and went back to law school and in fact ended up in the top half of my class," he went on.
But last week Biden released his law school records showing he had graduated 76th in a law school class of 85. The law school transcript also showed he made little progress in class standing through the three-year course, ranking 80 out of 100 in the first semester of the first year, and 79th out of 87 the second semester of his second year.
Biden also claimed in the New Hampshire speech that he had attended law school "on a full academic scholarship," but the records show his scholarship only covered about half of his tuition.

Biden said he was "frustrated" and "angry as hell" about the media reports. "I exaggerate when I'm angry, but I've never gone around telling people things that aren't true about me," he told the New York Times. "It's so easy to make things look like there's something sinister about them."

But the damage was done. On 23 September 1987, two days after the discrepancies between his public statements and the academic record were reported, Biden announced his withdrawal from the race. He admitted making mistakes — unintentional mistakes, he said — but insisted that the public's perception of his character had been skewed by the "exaggerated shadow" of his mistakes as portrayed in the press and by his political opponents.

He would later write in his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics (Random House, 2007), that he only had himself to blame:

When I stopped trying to explain to everybody and thought it through, the blame fell totally on me. Maybe the reporters traveling with me had seen me credit Kinnock over and over, but it was Joe Biden who forgot to credit Kinnock at the State Fair debate. I had been immature and skipped class and blown the Legal Methods paper. I was the one who thought it was good enough to just get by in law school. I lost my temper in New Hampshire. What I'd said about my academic achievements was just faulty memory or lack of knowledge. I hadn't remembered where I finished in my law school class. I hadn't cared. But to say "Wanna compare IQs?" was so stupid. All of it was my fault, and I didn't want to compound the mistakes.

Here's how TIME described why the fallout was so intense:

[T]he Biden brouhaha illustrates the six deadly requirements for a crippling political scandal.
1) A Pre-Existing Subtext. "The basic rap against Biden," explains Democratic Pollster Geoff Garin, "is that he's a candidate of style, not substance."
2) An Awkward Revelation. The Kinnock kleptomania was particularly damaging to Biden since it underscored the prior concerns that he was a shallow vessel for other people's ideas.
3) A Maladroit Response. Top Aide Tom Donilon claimed that Biden failed to credit Kinnock because "he didn't know what he was saying. He was on autopilot."
4) The Press Piles On. Once textual fidelity became an issue, reporters found earlier cases in which Biden had failed to give proper citation to Humphrey and Robert Kennedy. By themselves these transgressions would not have been worth noting.
5) The Discovery of Youthful Folly. During his first months at Syracuse University Law School, in 1965, Biden failed a course because he wrote a paper that used five pages from a published law-review article without quotation marks or a proper footnote. Since Biden was allowed to make up the course, the revelation was front-page news only because it kept the copycat contretemps alive.
6) An Overwrought Press Conference. With a rambling and disjointed opening statement, Biden failed to reap the benefits of public confession, even though he called himself "stupid" and his actions "a mistake." Part of the problem is that he contradicted himself by also insisting that it was "ludicrous" to attribute every political idea.
The "final blow" for the campaign came when Newsweek unearthed C-SPAN footage of Biden rattling off his academic accomplishments, including saying that he graduated in the top half of his law school, when in fact, he ranked 76th out of 85.

Vice President Kamala Harris' plagiarism is more serious than the New York Times suggests, Senior Hoover Institution Fellow Victor Davis Hanson told Newsmax on Tuesday. The paper on Monday downplayed allegations Harris copied passages for her 2009 book, "Smart on Crime." The outlet quoted an expert who said Harris' "lapses" were "not serious," and that the material she copied amounted to "descriptions of programs or statistical information that appear elsewhere."

Hanson told "Finnerty" host Rob Finnerty, "I've been in the academic world for 50 years. I've never heard that excuse. I've had colleagues that I've known that have plagiarized. I mean, I didn't know them personally, but I know of their cases where they plagiarized news releases, information bulletins from corporations. It didn't matter if it was not their own intellectual content. And, or, it was somebody else's that was not footnoted and acknowledged. That was a, that was a fireable offense. And everybody knows it."

He continued, "They know that she plagiarized from Wikipedia, and she didn't even plagiarize it correctly. She, she copied some of it a little bit wrongly. And then misinterpreted what the Wikipedia entry said. It was one, it was much more flagrant than the college, than [former Harvard President] Claudine Gay's example."

Gay stepped down in January after just six months in the post amid plagiarism allegations and other controversies.

Hanson said the New York Times and other media outlets will never cover the Harris plagiarism story because "they know right now that if they were to run with that story, they could lose 100,000 votes in 3 or 4 states, and they're not going to do it because — they're just not going to do it. They don't care about the integrity of the profession anymore."

Back