Has My Landlord Voided My Lease Agreement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaimieMG

I recently moved to Tulsa Oklahoma and have been living in my apartment for eight months of a twelve month lease. Living here has been nothing short of a nightmare.

Being brief, the biggest issues are:
My heater went out during an ice storm. After sending notice to my landlord it took her thirteen days to finally get it fixed.

There was a plumbing issue in the basement/laundry room (directly below my apartment) and raw sewage flooded the basement. After notifying my landlord about this, plumbers came the next day to fix the plumbing and do a general clean up. There was no thorough cleaning of all the fecal matter and there were visible pieces of fecal matter along the wall and underneath the washer and dryer which lead to a terrible smell that invaded my apartment. After letting my landlord know of these conditions, she did nothing to remedy the situation and I haven't been in the basement since. Recently, I've started to notice crickets in my apartment and forced myself to go in the basement to see if that's where they are coming from, and sure enough, they are everywhere -- all over the walls and underneath the washer and dryer. I've also caught two brown recluse spiders in my apartment just in the past week.

Based on this, does this void my lease agreement? All I want is to be let out of my lease and given my security deposit back, or a portion thereof to get into a new apartment. I want to do this as amicably as possible. I've never been in this situation before and have no clue what to do.

Sincerely,
Jaimie

Even though she hasn't cleaned up the fecal matter on the basement floors and walls? That's my major concern. The bugs are a result of the sewage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back