Help for Tenant with Landlord who Breached Lease and is Seeking Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

branderson925

Hey there. Not really sure where to post this but I was seeking some help on an issue.

I live with a large group of guys and have rented an entire apartment building from Sept 1, 2009 until Aug 31, 2010. we are about to move out and we have all received notices on our doors about our existing balances.

I was hoping I could get some clarification on some of these matters. The first issue is, one apartment out of the entire building had tenants in it from September 09 until February 2010. This was a breach of lease as it said we were guaranteed no one would live there. The tenants were friends of the landlords so the issue slowly got resolved. This was the apartment me and my 2 other roomates were to live in but we lived in a different apartment in the same building until Feb. In late December, our landlord told all three of us we wouldnt have to pay rent for February if they weren't out but January. It didn't happen but when we tried not to pay for February we got notices saying we had to pay. eventually I paid $400 (Rent is $800). now she is looking to get the remainder of the payment. I am wondering if she can seek this. Also she is trying to chrage a $35 legal notice fee for putting a notice(her own printed piece of paper) on the door saying we had to pay February's rent. This can't be legitimate, can it?

Thanks for any help and I can certainly answer any questions anyone might have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back