Help; Landlord wants me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adevonw1

I have been renting a house for almost two years. My lease will be up in August. Unfortunately we went through a rental company and don't get to speak to the landlord directly. So there has been a lot of miscommunication between the landlord and I due to a third party. Here is my issue:

I have had trouble with my landlord being on the property without any notice. The leasing company comes out twice a year to do inspections and this is what is in the contract. About six months ago I caught the landlord walking around the house and looking in the windows. He is always driving by the property and I frequently see him walking around or in the yard. I have complained to the management company about this but they do nothing about it. All they say is we will let him know he can't do that. Is there a direct law that I can quote to them that would get them and the landlord to take me seriously?

2nd issue-I do not have a pet but my parents do and I watch him on occasion when they are away. Such was the case about 2wks ago. I received a letter from the Home Owners Association stating that I am not allowed to keep a pet on a tie-out outside without supervision. I didn't think much of it b/c the dog was gone by that point. Well I received a call from the management company saying that the landlord received the same notice and is furious b/c I didn't pay the pet deposit, which is $500. Now he wants the pet deposit and an additional $250 or he wants to list the house now and us out. Is there anything I can do about this?

I feel that the management company is no help at all. When we have issues they ignore us but when the landlord has an issue we have to be on our p's and q's. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I have been renting a house for almost two years. My lease will be up in August. Unfortunately we went through a rental company and don't get to speak to the landlord directly. So there has been a lot of miscommunication between the landlord and I due to a third party. Here is my issue:

The lesson is to NEVER rent through a property management company.
But, since you have, that is the hand YOU dealt yourself!

I have had trouble with my landlord being on the property without any notice. The leasing company comes out twice a year to do inspections and this is what is in the contract. About six months ago I caught the landlord walking around the house and looking in the windows. He is always driving by the property and I frequently see him walking around or in the yard. I have complained to the management company about this but they do nothing about it. All they say is we will let him know he can't do that. Is there a direct law that I can quote to them that would get them and the landlord to take me seriously?

The landlord is violating your leasehold by making his unannounced visits.
Your leasehold gives YOU exclusive use of the property (under the lease provisions and state law) for the duration of the lease.
Look to YOUR lease for a cure (and state statute).
The penalty, however, often does not protect the leasehold fairly.
It is time for you to pack your belongings and move.
You can waste your time in court for little return.
You can be proactive and start looking for your next abode.

2nd issue-I do not have a pet but my parents do and I watch him on occasion when they are away. Such was the case about 2wks ago. I received a letter from the Home Owners Association stating that I am not allowed to keep a pet on a tie-out outside without supervision. I didn't think much of it b/c the dog was gone by that point. Well I received a call from the management company saying that the landlord received the same notice and is furious b/c I didn't pay the pet deposit, which is $500. Now he wants the pet deposit and an additional $250 or he wants to list the house now and us out. Is there anything I can do about this?

You are not allowed to have pets, unless it is in your lease.
You are not allowed to just "KEEP" someone else's pet, according to your lease.
You violated your lease.
You can be taken to court and evicted for that violation.
You can wait until he attempts to evict you and fight it in court.
I doubt that any judge would side with you on this, however.
You violated a lease provision.
It doesn't matter if you think it was just "ONCE".
ONCE is all it takes, IF your landlord wants you out.
You don't have to agree to anything that isn't in your lease.
But, you fight it, and he'll take you to court.
A judge will eventually decide.
But, from what you post, your days are numbered!!!

I feel that the management company is no help at all. When we have issues they ignore us but when the landlord has an issue we have to be on our p's and q's. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

The management company is NOT your friend.
Their bread is buttered by the landlord.
He hired the management company to COLLECT his rent and watch over his property.
They get a portion of what you pay for keeping HIM (not you) happy!!!
The lease is all you have to protect you and your rights.
Well, the lease and state law.

These sites might be of value to you as you go forward.
They address Indiana Landlord-Tenant law and Rights.

http://www.hud.gov/local/in/renting/tenantrights.cfm

Landlord's legal obligations: http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title32/ar31/ch8.html

Tenant's legal obligations: http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title32/ar31/ch7.html#IC32-31-7-8

Potential Legal Assistance: http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back