Help with our lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherrin1229

My boyfriend and I recently moved into our first apartment. He signed the lease when he was 17 years old without his parent's permission. Does this make it legally binding because he was still a minor when he signed? Do you think there's any way for us to get out of it because he wasn't an adult when he signed? Originally, the leasing agent told us that he couldn't be on the lease as a signer because he was still a minor. She told us that I would have to sign by myself at first then come back when he was 18 to add him to the lease. The day we signed, she said for him to just sign it anyways because he was "almost" 18.

The reason I'm asking is because his car was stolen from the parking lot. Our apartment complex, which is a gated community, had left the gate open all night. They said they're not held liable because we have no proof of it being broken and basically, they just don't care. Unfortunately, we only had liability insurance on the car (because that's all we could afford) so we won't be getting any money for a new car. With no car, it's impossible for him to get to work or school. Without a job, we can't afford the rent and have no other choice than to move back in with our parents, who live over 200 miles away.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Once your boyfriend turned 18 and stayed in the apartment his signature became "ratified" as an adult. He is now bound to it. As for the apartment complex being responsible for your stolen car, I doubt it. Apartment gates are mostly for show. They are not a warrant of security and if someone hoped the fence and stole your car the fence would open for them on the way out. They are not liable for your car's security. Sorry. Good luck.

Your best bet is to see if your lease allows you to sublet the rental unit (i.e., find another person to take over your lease) to avoid the legal complications involved with simply breaking the lease.

Gail

Just thought I'd update. We got out of our lease very easily because he was 17 when he signed. Our apartment manager knew she messed up and is letting us out with 60 days notice. We have it in writing that we will only have to pay for November and December's rent even if the apartment is rented before our 60 days is over. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back