Holding occupant accountable for rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewaduff

Hi There,

I am currently looking to move in with my girlfriend. She has had a recent eviction notice that was cleared up but landlords to do want to add her to the lease due to this issue. A landlord has suggested that if we are to move into her property I must be the main person on the lease with my girlfriend as an occupant. I know this puts me a risk if something were to happen to our relationship as I am solely responsible for the rent. Is there any way that I can legally make my girlfriend responsible for her half of the rent through a contract or something even if my landlord only puts her on the lease only as an occupant? How can I protect myself?

Really?

She's defaulted to the point of eviction already.

No sensible landlord wants to put her on a lease, and you want an ironclad guarantee she won't cheat you, too?

Not gonna happen.

You could sublet to her, if your lease allows sublets, but that doesn't guarantee she'll ever pay you.

Really?

She's defaulted to the point of eviction already.

No sensible landlord wants to put her on a lease, and you want an ironclad guarantee she won't cheat you, too?

Not gonna happen.

You could sublet to her, if your lease allows sublets, but that doesn't guarantee she'll ever pay you.

I came here for help, not a condescending reply. I hope posting down to people on the Internet makes you feel good army judge.

Your best option is what Army Judge said- sublet to her IF your lease allows you to sublet. Otherwise she is an occupant who can freely come and go with no obligation to you or the landlord.
If the landlord does not allow you to sublet then you won't have a way to hold her responsible for rent. The fact that you are looking for a way to hold your girlfriend legally responsible for the rent before you even move in is a pretty clear indicator of how things are going to pan out. The best advice anyone can give you is to reconsider your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back