how long do i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklyn1589

im a renter current on rent.
i got hand written notice from the owner monday giving me 30 days to vacate.
does protecting tennants at foreclosure act 2009 give me 90 days?

i had a 12 month lease started 2/07, went month to month 2/08
w/o payment incident.
i've seen foreclosure legal ads & tax documents for the owner in my mail.
i internet reseached my address and found no foreclosure listing.
i spoke to the owner monday 10/5/09.
he suspects his bank may leverage this property to collect against others.
he gave me name and number of real estate agent dealing with his foreclosures.
i don't know that he's been paying this mortgage.
the agent wants to show the house immediately.
i can no longer contact the owner.
what shall i do?

Stay there. They will eventually come to you and ask you how long you need to move. They may even offer to pay you to move. Sit tight.

would my actions be protectected by the new act?

should i allow the real estate agent in to show the home?
I have a newborn here and swine flu is real, but they mentioned considerations if I work with them... possibly free rent through the foreclosure proceeding.

is my deposit in jeopardy?

Your deposit should not be in jeopardy but a broke person has probably spent it.

thanks for the info guys.
:)

the real estate agent metioned a possible foresclosure date of nov 6, but there are no public record listings or notices for this address although i did find two others in his name for other properties.

should i notify the landlord of my 60 day entitlement and does that change if foreclosure takes place?

am i notified if so?

Your landlord is not going to be in charge of when you have to leave if he loses the property to foreclosure. Just sit tight. If the foreclosure happens on November 6th you have at least a month before they could even try to get you out. If they file for eviction, telling them about your "entitlement" is the right course of action. If they don't listen, answer the eviction by using that as your defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back