How long will eviction be public record in California?

BSJ1

Jurisdiction
California
Just shy of seven years ago I was evicted (my work hours had been cut to almost nothing, and one month I was $20 short, which led to the eviction). The outstanding judgment was paid a couple years ago, but I'm not sure how long the eviction will stay on my record (in California if it makes any difference) if a potential landlord runs a background check. I heard it was seven years? It will be seven years this coming September. I don't want to have to disclose that I was evicted on a rental application--is there any way around that if it falls off my record? Must I be proactive to ensure that it's no longer a matter of public record, eg file something with the court?

Depends on what you mean by "public record" and "my record."

Records of the case will exist forever.

If you're talking about a credit report, the eviction isn't on your report, but you're correct that the reported debt will remain for seven years from the original delinquency date. You should monitor your credit reports and, if the record of this debt doesn't fall off, you should submit a dispute with each credit reporting agency.

Sorry, but court records are forever. They may be more difficult to access as time wears on but they will always be there if someone wants to search.

That being said, corporate and multi-unit owners generally use background and credit check services which may be limited to 7 years.

Private rental home owners might do that but generally avoid the cost. I don't think anybody would go court by court to search for an eviction record.

Bottom line, if a landlord wants to find it, he'll find it. Best to answer questions truthfully.

Depends on what you mean by "public record" and "my record."

Records of the case will exist forever.

If you're talking about a credit report, the eviction isn't on your report, but you're correct that the reported debt will remain for seven years from the original delinquency date. You should monitor your credit reports and, if the record of this debt doesn't fall off, you should submit a dispute with each credit reporting agency.
Not talking about credit report., talking about tenant screening report. The debt was paid off anyway, so I'm not concerned about my credit report.

Doubtful. They were a large multi-property corporation who likely just wanted to get in a new tenant so they could charge more rent, given that I'd been there for nine years and it was rent-controlled. And I hardly think someone who hits a rough patch and later pays all debts in full is a "deadbeat". I've seen some deadbeats though, and many other assorted characters.
You might also be listed on this database.

Back