I disputed the landlords deposit refund - now she's trying to charge me for $

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX28F

I live in Texas and my ex-landlord tried to pay me back only $18.00 from a $500 deposit. She "charged" me for everything from replacing shower hooks and shower curtain to new door knobs (I've rented for 10 years and have never heard of such a thing). She also charged me for a late fee for rent but I had a copy of the transaction that rent was paid on time. My family and I spent three days cleaning the place - it was in great condition. I therefore disputed her claims up to $228.00 and mailed her a certified letter and returned her check for $18.00.

Now, in her response to my dispute, she is trying to come after ME for more money. Saying that I need to pay to replace the hardwood floors and other things and she would send me an invoice in the mail.

I am not paying this woman another dime. She owes me money - not the other way around. What rights do I have? How do I go about this? She is threatening to repore me to a credit agency if I don't pay her back for this new invoice but it's not going to happen! I don't know what I need to do besides hiring an attorney and I don't really want to take it to that level.

Since you have already sent her a letter disputing the amount she kept (and she's responded by refusing to send you back any further funds), your next step is to decide whether you wish to file a lawsuit against her for the amount of the security deposit you believe you are fairly owed.

These types of lawsuits are typically handled through Small Claims court as they involve relatively small amounts of money (Texas allows cases up to $10,000 to be heard in Small Claims) and an attorney is not required (you would represent yourself in the lawsuit).

Gail

Thank you, Gail. I appreciate the info. I'm willing to drop the whole thing and move on down the road (I purchased a house recently and am just ready to move on from this whole ordeal) but now my question is - she's trying to invoice me for another $128.00 for other "damages". I refuse to pay this. If I don't pay her this money, she cannot attempt to report me to creditors or anything of that nature, correct? I imagine that the worst that could happen is she would try to bring me to small claims court? I wouldn't put it past her. This woman is awful and had I known how she was I never would have rented from her. In fact, I'm almost tempted to report her to the better business bureau. I know for a fact that she used my neighbors "water account" for a shared washer and dryer and sprinkler system for the yard and didn't tell him. He finally figured it out on his own when his bill was over $80 a month for one person. To me, that is flat out stealing.

The way I see it, she had her shot to charge me for all the damages upon returning the deposit refund. I did what any smart person would do and dispute some of the charges like a late fee that I had proof of paying on time. Now she's trying to dig up things to hit me with and it's obviously ridiculous. I'm just concerned with her trying to screw up my credit or something. Should I just ignore this invoice altogether? Thanks for any advice.

If you don't pay her, her options are to 1. file a lawsuit against you, 2. turn you over to a collection agency (for individual landlords this often requires that a court judgement be in place first) or 3. drop the entire issue.

If she claims she needs to replace the entire hardwood floors, be prepared for another shocking invoice from her.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back