I received a writ of pessession

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadar12

After receiving the writ of possession can I enter my property to see if the tenants have moved? Or do I have to wait for the sherriff to contact with a date to meet me at the property? If I can enter without the sherriff being present and find that the house is empty at that time can i change the locks and start repairs .

Attached are the steps for a writ of possession in Georgia:

http://www.georgialandlord.com/georgia-dispo-warrant.htm

If granted through a court hearing, the writ takes effect 10 days after the judgement.

Do you have any idea if the tenants are still living in the unit? If so, do not enter until the actual day of eviction (with the Marshall present to oversee this). If not most landlords would enter the rental unit, change the locks, begin the repairs and not file with the Marshalls office for the actual eviction process (which will cost you yet more money).

Gail

The Judge won't give it to you until it is in effect. If you have it, you have a right to possess the property. The only purpose for the sheriff is to keep the peace if they are still there. I would go there, knock, if no one shows up, open the door and go in. You will be required to move their things out into the yard before you change the locks. Once the things are in the yard they become fair game to anyone that wants them. They are abandoned property. I would give them and the public a day or two to get the things before I cleaned off the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back