Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft I was charged with petit larceny at walmart. My hearing is tomorrow and I do not have an attorney.

S

Slo1969

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I was charged with petit larceny at a Walmart in Lawton ok - I admitted taking the items to the security officer and they have me on video. I don't have an attorney and don't know what to do. I have no prior theft convictions, and the total amount of the items were less than 30.00. I am hoping to get a diversion option if at all possible but don't know how to plead at the initial hearing. Should I plead no contest and ask for a court appointed attorney?

You should never admit taking the items. You generally go to court, plead not guilty & ask for a public defender & speak only to the PD. You ask him/her about ACD or diversion to protect your record.

I was charged with petit larceny at a Walmart in Lawton ok - I admitted taking the items to the security officer and they have me on video. I don't have an attorney and don't know what to do. I have no prior theft convictions, and the total amount of the items were less than 30.00. I am hoping to get a diversion option if at all possible but don't know how to plead at the initial hearing. Should I plead no contest and ask for a court appointed attorney?

Plead not guilty, don't admit to anything, ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. As earlier instructed plead not guilty and request public defender. Once you meet this attorney ask about your defense options and plea deals available. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to protect your record

Back