I'm Muslim. Can an advertising business deny me service because I'm Muslim? (US & Pennsylvania)

Onedayatatime67

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
TLDR: Is it legal to deny a Muslim service to an advertising business BECAUSE they are a Muslim? My understanding is that it would be under the PHRA (Pennsylvania Human Rights Act) IF their business were defined as a public accommodation, but I don't know that is. Could the case be reasonably made that their business is a Public Accommodation?

Approximately five years ago, I began advertising with a company, which generates much of its revenue by attracting business advertisers to post on a Facebook group they manage. I found this advertising opportunity ideal for my business, and I received many paying customers as a result.

But not only were my posts successful, but I had an excellent working relationship with them. I even won awards for being the best advertiser in the group.

One day, I made a blog post sharing my Muslim faith, something I'd been timid about previously. Shortly after I made this post on my personal Facebook page, which the founder of saw because he was Facebook friends with me, I received an email stating that the company was terminating its relationship with me. Although they did not state the reason for the termination, based on the timeline and our excellent relationship up to that point, it is clear it was because of the post.

Not only did they terminate their relationship with me, but they removed me from the Facebook group, preventing me from responding to requests for my business. Additionally, they deleted my Facebook posts that I had worked so hard on over those five years. The result of these actions has significantly harmed my business. Whereas nearly 40% of my leads previously came from this group, that number has now dwindled to a shadow of what it once was.

Could the case be reasonably made that their business is a Public Accommodation?

I read the copious definition of Public Accommodation in the act and the answer is no, it is not a Public Accommodation. Read it for yourself at:

However, that isn't to say that the discrimination isn't illegal under that or some other state or federal law. It might also be actionable under some other tort theory.

You've obviously lost money because of it. Consult an attorney.

Back