Intent to Vacate letter & Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanche

Really stupid question, I know (and I apologize) -

We are moving in to a rental property July 1st of this year. Because DH and I have such crazy schedules and commitments, we will not completely be out of our *current* rental place until July 31st...in other words, we will be paying rent on two different places for the entire month of July 2010.

Our *current* rental place is now on a month-to-month, requiring our giving 30 days notice. We'll be giving slightly more than that. I want to turn in the keys on July 31st and will likely just be cleaning on that day so that the landlady can have an easier time of it. However, the landlady is quite a character, to put it nicely. She owns two single family houses right next to one another, of which we rent one. I've seen how she doggedly tried to look for ways to go after the other renter almost to the point of what I would think was harassment. I'd like to avoid that by keeping my head down and ducks in a row.

This week I have to send our letter of intent to vacate. Do I need to put a specific date (July 31st) as our last date of residency or can I state that we'll be staying through the end of July? (I do not want her to say that we owe for August 1st because we were still there on July 31st...she pulled that with the other fellow). Also, she made herself quite unavailable for the other fellow when he tried to turn in keys/garage door opener. I do not know how all that turned out, but I remember his complaining about it being a way for her to charge him an additional day. Any advice there? (There is no property manager in this situation.)

Set a specific date, 31 July 2010.

If I were you, I'd hire a cleaning service to make sure things are ship shape.

You couldn't spend $200-300 any more wisely.

I'd shoot to have things done a week early (24 July).

Have your things out by then and surprise her with your early exit.

Just because you're paying for it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Make YOUR life easier.

Many people have done what you're doing, and it isn't hard if you plan wisely and execute appropriately.

Being done early makes it harder for her to dodge you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back