Invalid Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointblank1987

I was renting a room out from someone who was also a renter of that house not the owner. He was subleasing a room to me when he was not suppose to because it was a breach in his contract with the owner of the house. When I moved in, the renter of the house had me sign a contract between us two. But now that he has breech his contract orf subletting me a room, does that mean our contract is invalid? And if so, does that mean that I can get back all the money for those months I paid?

No, your agreement is separate. If the other tenant is in violation of his lease then that is a matter between him and the landlord. As a subtenant, your landlord is essentially the other tenant and if there is a written contract it can probably be enforced. You are not a victim of the breached contract, the landlord is.
No, you can not get your money back.

Illegal Eviction

However if I get evicted from his LL, than can I sue my immediate LL for an illegal eviction and all costs associated with said eviction.

Yes, I did evicted from the Owner. The owner of the home had told my LL for us to vacate the premise in 1 week. Then my LL gave me a 30 day notice to vacate because the owner told him so, because he was in breech of contract. So, in saying that, would that be a illegal eviction then? And if so, if I sued the LL, would I be suing to get back my money for all those months?

Additionally, when I spoke to my landlord he said, that he subletted the room to me no knowing he could not sublet because he did not read the fine print of his contract. Lastly, the money I gave him for rent did not go towards rent, because he got a notice in the mail for 2 months of late rent. Can anything be done about that?

However if I get evicted from his LL, than can I sue my immediate LL for an illegal eviction and all costs associated with said eviction.

If you are evicted through the proper court procedure then it is not an illegal eviction. You could certainly ask for compensation and you could attempt a lawsuit, but I wouldn't expect positive results.

Yes, I did evicted from the Owner. The owner of the home had told my LL for us to vacate the premise in 1 week. Then my LL gave me a 30 day notice to vacate because the owner told him so, because he was in breech of contract. So, in saying that, would that be a illegal eviction then? And if so, if I sued the LL, would I be suing to get back my money for all those months?

The landlord does not have the legal authority to evict you. All he can do is request that you leave. If the landlord follows the proper procedure he would have to go through a court procedure a judge would evict you. Until the judge orders you out you do not have to leave. That usually takes a minimum of several weeks. If you left at the landlord's request then you did so voluntarily and it was not an illegal eviction. Had you been locked out or otherwise forced out then we would be looking at an illegal eviction. I don't believe you have anything to sue for, and even so, you wouldn't be able to recover rent money that you had agreed to pay for the time that you were actually staying there.

Additionally, when I spoke to my landlord he said, that he subletted the room to me no knowing he could not sublet because he did not read the fine print of his contract. Lastly, the money I gave him for rent did not go towards rent, because he got a notice in the mail for 2 months of late rent. Can anything be done about that?

The sublet is a matter between the other tenant and the landlord. You agreed to pay the money. You have no say in how that money is appropriated after it leaves your control. You aren't saying anything here that makes me believe you have actually been damaged in some way. You have no real damages to seek compensation for in any lawsuit. The landlord can take action against the other tenant for the sublet if he chooses to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back