Is a live-in friend responsible for damages they caused after they move out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaferbs

My husband and I allowed a friend to live in the finished/furnished basement of our house for approximately 1.5 years with no contract or lease. My question is, is he responsible for paying for any damages that are above and beyond normal wear and tear? He works at a junk yard and was not considerate enough to remove his dirty clothes and shoes and obviously didn't consider what he was doing to our carpets and very new furniture. They desperatly need to be cleaned and the mattress he used is completely unusable (the mattress is shredded in some parts, there is a hole in it and there are urine stains...nice friend, right?). Is he responsible for replacing, in full or in part, the mattress and paying for the professional cleaning of the carpets and furniture? Thank you for your time.

My husband and I allowed a friend to live in the finished/furnished basement of our house for approximately 1.5 years with no contract or lease. My question is, is he responsible for paying for any damages that are above and beyond normal wear and tear? He works at a junk yard and was not considerate enough to remove his dirty clothes and shoes and obviously didn't consider what he was doing to our carpets and very new furniture. They desperatly need to be cleaned and the mattress he used is completely unusable (the mattress is shredded in some parts, there is a hole in it and there are urine stains...nice friend, right?). Is he responsible for replacing, in full or in part, the mattress and paying for the professional cleaning of the carpets and furniture? Thank you for your time.

He wouldn't be responsible for anything unless you took him to court and prevailed in a lawsuit.

But, what good would that do?

He's a bum and a deadbeat.

You couldn't rob a bum and deadbeat with a pistol and get two dollars out of your effort.

Sure, you could sue him, but it'd be a waste of your time.

If I were you, I'd fumigate the place, clean it, and move on.

That deadbeat and bum won't ever reimburse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back