Job Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvaughn

I am being transferred out of state for my job. I am 7 months into my one year lease. What documentation will I need to provide, and what steps do I need to take to reasonably break my lease? I am more than willing to pay a reasonable amount for cleaning fees, advertising, etc. to release my apartment, however could never afford to buy out the rest of my lease, and my work will not be providing my moving expenses.

I am being transferred out of state for my job. I am 7 months into my one year lease. What documentation will I need to provide, and what steps do I need to take to reasonably break my lease? I am more than willing to pay a reasonable amount for cleaning fees, advertising, etc. to release my apartment, however could never afford to buy out the rest of my lease, and my work will not be providing my moving expenses.

Unless you have a relocation clause in

your lease, the reason for your move won't matter!

Read your lease.

The answer you seek is in your lease.

Alas, without the relocation clause (I referred to above), breaking your lease will be very costly!

I suggest you read your lease and begin negotiations with your landlord today!!!!

Last edited:
You might wish to discuss with your landlord taking on your responsibility to find a suitable tenant to replace you. This applicant would still need to undergo the same screening steps you did.

Gail

You aren't automatically on the hook for the remainder of the lease.
The sooner you start shopping for a tenant to take your place the better of you will be.
Help your landlord find a new tenant in minimal time and your landlord will have minimal damages due to your early departure.
Once the new tenant is in you are off the hook for the remainder.

Thanks for the helpful replies! As far as I know to buy out the lease it is two months rent which is $1210 and then an advertising and cleaning fee of $250. I just want to be careful with how much I shell out to the landlord and not overpay. I don't want to agree to pay a certain amount to break the lease then get slapped with outrageous charges later. I'm completely okay with paying a reasonable amount. I understand I have to break the lease. I've heard horror stories about the company sending people to court for $1,000 cleaning bills and $400 carpet replacement fees and then the company refusing to send invoices to people for proof that they actually did things. I have already posted ads for the apartment to see if I could find a tenant for it, however no luck so far.

These are just a couple of their reviews....

"When I moved out of my apartment, I got a bill for roughly $1,000 that included a carpet replacement and cleaning fees. The apartment was left in good condition, and the carpet was in good condition. They said it was an 'opinion' that it needed to be replaced. I requested a copy of the invoice or I wouldn't pay it. I then spoke with my old neigbor at the time and she said that they had sent someone in to steam clean my apartment (she asked them as a request of me, and they confirmed they were an outside company there to clean my apartment's carpets). When they realized that I wanted the invoice, it took them 4 months to produce one. Basically, they lied and said they were replacing the carpet when in reality they were just cleaning it. I caught them lying in the act, but they went back and replaced it after the fact to cover themselves. They are ridiculous. When I called them out there response was "you can take it up in court." It seems that is all they have to say.....pretty pathetic"

"I lived there until I bought my first home and negotiated a deal with them to find a person to re-let my apartment so I could get out of the lease. When I left, I cleaned that place spotless. I didn't take pictures, although I know now I should have. I never received a bill or anything. Months passed and then I received a letter from the courts declaring that I lost a judgement and owed them money. Apparently they had been purposely sending the paperwork to the incorrect address (I had forwarded them the proper address) so that I wouldn't respond and be forced into payment. After months of battling them, I finally bowed down and paid them almost $1000 (FOR NO REASON WHAT-SO-EVER). They are CROOKS."

I mean who knows maybe it's just disgruntled employees or tenants that didn't pay rent, but it makes me nervous that almost every review is like this for the company. I want to be careful.

If I were you, I'd get everything in writing.
Your agreement should spell out exactly what the buyout will cost you.

Do not pay, until the management walks through the apartment with you.

Document with pictures and/or videoes the final walkthrough.

Make sure you both agree in writing to all damages and additional charges.

Don't leave town and trust the landlord to do everything without you being present.

After all the damages have been tallied, and a proper itemized bill has been provided; write the check and don't give it to them until everything is order and marked "final bill".

On your check you should mark it on the reverse with a statement to this effect; "Endorsement of this check by the recipient constitutes a full and final settlement of all monies owed on my leasehold account".

There are many examples of this language.

Google similar phrases and select the one that best addresses your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back