Judgement against a different tenant on my credit report

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper623

I'm not sure which forum this is most appropriate for, so I'll start here.

We entered into a lease with a mobile home community in 2003 and a separate lease with the owner of the mobile home at the same time. The lease was 1 year for the first year and month to month for the second and subsequent years.

In March 2008, we purchased our first house and I submitted a notice to vacate effective June 30, 2008 to both the mobile home community and owner.

The mobile home was leased to another tenant in July 2008.

I was checking my credit report tonight, and low-and-behold a judgment appears from the mobile home park effective 06/2009. I was never served for this court appearance.

I checked the court records on the county website and though the party name is mine, it says "Served to whom: <name of the later tenant> OCCUPANT. So they served the new tenant, but the case was against me?!?

Now, the owner of the mobile home just happens to be my best friend. She also took the tenant to court at the same time to sue for eviction and past due rent. The mobile home land lease is now in her name and she had to pay the back rent on the lot to ressume the lot lease. During all of that, not ONCE did it come up that the land lease was not in the new tenant's name.

On the upside, I have lots of backup documentation - the case filing served to the new tenant, copies of lease agreements between the mobile home owner and the new tenant, testimony of the mobile home owner that the park claimed to her that the land lease to the new tenant was in place (they had to do a background check - she was not entitled to a copy of the lease).

This judgement is totally jacking my credit.

How do I go about disputing this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back