landloard renewed my contract and wont return security deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inttlvertigo

hey guys,
i have been living in this apartment for two years. and in the two years i have never been late on rent or anything of that sort.
my lease was over on June 30th 2009, so prior to the date the management office sent me a letter in march indicating whether i would like to extend my lease, to which i replied "No" and had mailed it.
i finished clearing my apartment on June 30th and on the morning of July 1st i handed over the keys to the superintendent of the building. however a few weeks later i receive a letter from the management office stating that i had returned the keys to them on July 3rd as a result of which they said that my lease has been deemed renewed for a period of 1 year commencing July 1, 2009.
i went over to speak to the building superintendent who now states that he doesn't quite remember exactly the date on which i handed over the keys. since there was no signature involved when returning the keys its now a matter of my word against theirs.
please advice as to what i should do. i have been unemployed for 3 months now and have now taken up some odd job which barely makes my need.

thanks,
haider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back