Landlord bedridden

Tres409

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I have lived in my apartment for 14 years. It's a two-story house that has been converted into two apartments - my landlord lives on the first floor, my boyfriend and I on the second floor. We are at-will tenants and never signed a lease. Five years ago my landlord fell and was permanently injured. He has since been bedridden and needs full care. He goes to dialysis 3 times a week. There are days when he's not himself and is confused, especially if he has an infection or hasn't gone to dialysis. Nursing aides come every day, but leave in the evenings. When this happened, none of his family members discussed anything with us, regarding extra duties. Therefore, we have stepped up to help. He often calls at night, sometimes after 10 p.m. because he can't reach something he needs. We help with shoveling in the winter and trimming the lawn and planting flowers in the summer. We have just been informed that he was no longer managing his money properly, and since then two of his family members have stepped in to take over his finances. They also want to raise our rent, without discussing it with our landlord. My question is: who is in charge? Does his family have the right to raise our rent? Especially without discussing it with him? Should continue to deal with my landlord only? Should I ask him how he feels about all this? We currently pay $600 per month. One family member wants us to pay $750. Another wants us to pay $900, which we cannot afford. She also wants to treat us like brand-new tenants and make us sign an lease that would have us paying a security deposit and last months' rent. Is this even legal? I've lived on the property for 14 years.

I suggest you begin searching for a new place to live.
You don't have the money to fight it, and eventually you'll lose.
Why?
Blood IS thicker that water.
Even if he doesn't want to, it'll be said he has.
Don't waste time fighting over a rented apartment.
It's been a good ride, it's ending.
If you force his hand, you'll be served with the proper notice to vacate.
The old gentleman is dying and the vultures are circling the old gentleman.

Doesn't matter how long you've lived there or how much help you've been to the landlord.

You are free to ignore the relatives until they provide you with the landlord's power of attorney or some sort of written authorization by the landlord appointing them as his agent or court documents appointing one of them as conservator.

Until then you can continue paying the same rent directly to the landlord. Make sure you pay by check and keep a copy of the check showing which month you've paid for.

Unfortunately, as an "at will" tenant, once they have proper authorization, all they need to do is give you 30 days written notice of any change in rent, terms, or termination and you can be evicted if you don't comply.

See MA landlord tenant statute Section 12:

General Laws: CHAPTER 186, Section 12

So, yes, everything they are telling you is legal, provided they have proper written authorization and give you proper written notice.

Back