Landlord Changing Lease - Not Signed Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfuzzybunny

I am in Texas. I have a verbal agreement with a landlord to move in Aug. 15. I had to leave the town I was moving to before she could get the papers ready so we did not sign a lease yet. However, I did pay her the firs month's rent and deposit equal to first month's rent.

My girlfriends asked her a month ago (she lives in the city I will be moving to) if she could move the washer/dryer in early. The landlords said yes, she did not mention changing the lease start date at all.

I spoke to the landlord yesterday (Aug.9) and she said she changed the lease start date to July 15 because the washer/dryer had been put in early.

Do I have any rights here? I would prefer to get my money back, move the washer/dryer out and find a new place. I like the home I was going to be renting, but I am very upset the landlord would pull something like this. I have not signed a lease.

Does landlord have right to make me sign a lease w/changed start date because washer/dryer were in the home if she did not notify us that would be the condition for putting in the washer/dryer? If not, can I get both my first month's rent & deposit back and the washer/dryer?

Thanks for advice.

Okay, my girlfriend just drove by. She could see through the windows. The fridge is not there, the place is dirty, and the requests I asked her to do have not been done (that my girlfriend could see through the window).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back