Landlord claiming she never knew I left after evicting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wandam88

On January 28th, I came home to my apartment and there was an eviction notice on my door saying I had to be out in 24 hours, signed by a deputy, with the time they dropped it off stamped on it. It said 11:07 am. I came home after 11:00 pm, leaving me with about 12 hours to get everything figured out. I immediately called the apartment office, only to get their answering service. They advised me to call back at 9 am. At 9 am, I called back, only to get the answering service again. Repeat this from 9-10 am. I finally gave up on reaching anyone, because the eviction notice stated that if I was not out in 24 hours, they could have someone come and forcibly remove me, and that all my property inside the apartment would be placed on the side of the road for removal. None of that sounded appealing, so instead of trying to fight the eviction and figure out what was going on, I packed what I could and left, because the way I understood it, I only had an hour left to do so.

I heard nothing for a month. Today, over a month later, my previous landlord calls me at work and claims she never knew that I left, and that she just found out today. She said the apartment was left in a mess, and it's going to take thousands of dollars to repair the damage, and that she's "seriously considering" charging me with vandalism. Can she do this? I didn't damage the apartment. I still had stuff left in there, and it was messy, but only because I rushed to get everything that was absolutely necessary out of there within the time frame she allotted. But she's claiming stuff that I know I didn't do. The only thing I can think of is someone was squatting in the apartment after they noticed I left. Is there some kind of time frame she's required to do the walkthrough by? How could she not know I left if she evicted me?

The whole thing is just really confusing for me. I'm 22 years old and this is the first time I've lived by myself. I can't say the experience is stress free, that's for sure.

You misread a notice to quit or a notice to vacate as an eviction.
A deputy sheriff can not evict you.
A landlord can not evict you.
Only a judge can evict you.
The judge's order is enforced by a deputy sheriff, constable, or marshal.
That is when your property would be placed on the roadside.

You voluntarily vacated (albeit you claim mistakenly) the premises.
You now have no legal recourse.
Yes, your landlord can sue you.
Will the landlord prevail?
Who knows.
You should speak with a local lawyer about representing you.
Yes, it will cost you something.
But, so will a judgment if you lose the proposed court battle.

This is a harsh and costly lesson to learn.
Nevertheless, you are an adult.
You are held accountable in this life for your actions.
One of my old law school professors was fond of saying, "Its what you don't know in life that kills you or costs you!"
That is something you recently discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back