Landlord doesn't want me to be present for final walk-through and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanyGun

The lease to my apartment is over on 9/16/09. Today, I called the leasing office to turn over my keys and see if we could do a final walk-through early as I physically moved out 2 weeks ago. I was told to come to the office to discuss this further. When I arrived, I was told that I could not be 'moved' out until the 16th, and therefore could not do a final walk-through until then. I was then further told that I could not schedule a time to be present for walk-through. I was told that a few days after I was 'moved' out of the apartment via their computer system, the system would tell them when to do the walk-through. Because of this, it would not be possible to schedule a time to come in for the walk-through. I insisted that it was my legal right to be present for the walk-through and I was told that "that's not how we do things here". I have read on other landlord/tenant websites that I have a legal right to be present for the walk-through. The leasing office made it sound like for me to be present for the walk-through, they would have to call me before they did it and I would have to drop everything I was doing and show up and they wouldn't wait for me to get there before starting the walk-through. If it really is my legal right to be there, wouldn't they be obligated to give me more of a notice? or actually schedule a time for me to be present?
I also have a question about monthly pet fees.
I had two pets for the 2 years that I lived in that apartment. I paid a $250 pet deposit and a $20 monthly fee per pet. So, in total, I have paid $1210 for my pets. When I first moved in, my boyfriend and I asked what the extra monthly fee for the pets were, and we were told that it was to cover any charges above and beyond the $250 pet deposit (ex. special carpet cleaning). While still insisting with them upon being present for the walk-through, they tried to re-assure me that I had nothing to worry about in terms of being charged for anything unless there was an odor from my pets in the apartment, in which case they would have to rip up the carpet and padding, bleach the flooring underneath, and put down new carpet and padding...which would cost me $800. I then told them that I was told when I moved in that's what the extra $40 per months that I paid was for. They proceeded to tell me that the extra $40 had nothing to do with damage from my pets but instead for simply having the privilege of having pets. They told me that the extra fee is typical of other apartment complexes, and it's for the privilege to have animals in those places as well. They told me that the extra monthly fee is to pay someone to clean up the lawn because of people that don't pick up after their dogs (even though they FINE people for not picking up after their animals.... AND I have cats, they don't go outside...what lawn maintenance are my animals going to cause?) Is this accurate? Also, if they claim that there is pet odor, how do you dispute this?
I've kept every piece of paperwork from them I've ever been given. All I have is my move in receipt, my copy of the move-in checklist (and they "lost" their copy and want me to give them mine), and a rules sheet. I have stating specifically what the monthly pet fee is for. I don't remember reading it in anything I signed. I believe what we were told was completely verbal--and the leasing officer at the time is no longer there.
I also paid a $199 security deposit. All of the paperwork says it's a security deposit but they call it administrative fees. Are they able to do that? Say it's one thing and it really be another? Because they told me that it's non-refundable because it's administrative fees.
There are actually WAY to many issues going on than I can really go on about. I'm thinking that I may be jumping the gun a bit, but I want to be prepared and I want to know what my rights are. I don't want to get taken advantage of by this place.

Thanks.

I've been looking at other websites, but I can't seem to find any absolute clarification. What I have been finding says that I have the right to be present, but it doesn't say anything about the landlord working with me so that I can be present for it. I work full-time and go to school full time, so I can't just drop everything to be there...and the landlord basically told me that's what I'd have to do to be there and even then, they wouldn't wait for me to arrive before starting the walk-through.
And I can't find anything at all on the monthly pet rent. I just have what I was told at move in and what I am being told now. At move in, I was told that the monthly rent was for when I moved out, they would have to clean the apartment differently than they would have if I didn't have pets, and that fee is to cover that. Now they are telling me that the monthly fee is simply for the privilege to have my pets because they have to hire someone to come clean up the grounds because no one will pick up after their dogs (and I don't have dogs, I have cats).

I've been looking at other websites, but I can't seem to find any absolute clarification. What I have been finding says that I have the right to be present, but it doesn't say anything about the landlord working with me so that I can be present for it. I work full-time and go to school full time, so I can't just drop everything to be there...and the landlord basically told me that's what I'd have to do to be there and even then, they wouldn't wait for me to arrive before starting the walk-through.
And I can't find anything at all on the monthly pet rent. I just have what I was told at move in and what I am being told now. At move in, I was told that the monthly rent was for when I moved out, they would have to clean the apartment differently than they would have if I didn't have pets, and that fee is to cover that. Now they are telling me that the monthly fee is simply for the privilege to have my pets because they have to hire someone to come clean up the grounds because no one will pick up after their dogs (and I don't have dogs, I have cats).

The landlord/management is not obligated to schedule a specific time for the final walk-through. In addition, it is important to remember that the final walk through is not the "end all" to finding damage (many tenants seem to believe that it is.)

In Ohio the landlord/management has 30 days to provide information to the former tenant regarding their security deposit/damages above normal wear and tear. Thus, even if the walk-through with a tenant finds no damages, further inspections done within this allow 30 day period might find some.

Your best bet is to take pictures of the rental unit at move out for documentation should questions come up later. I wish more tenant would do this because questions about damages after they've vacated the unit seem to be a common theme.

And yes; typically the pet fee is added for the privilege of being able to keep a pet.

Gail

Well, I've taken pictures... TONS of pictures.
We've done everything short of painting the place...which the landlord says that they do automatically between tenants.
My main concern is, when I told my mother about the situation with the landlord, she went to the office ...and wasn't so nice. The lady she was talking to responded, in a threatening tone, with "Well, we could always find a smell and charge you $800 for it"...
If they really want to play that kind of game with me, how would I refute something like that?
I'm just worried because of things I've recently read about them and horror stories from past tenants.

Thanks though for your help

If they were to "find" such odors and sue you for the cost of a new carpet, they would need to prove to a judge that such damage actually existed. This is often difficult to do.

Carpets are prorated, typically over 5 to 7 years which is the estimated life of a carpet in a rental unit.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back