Landlord filed chapter 11, will security deposit be returned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

I gave notice in April 2009 that I would not be renewing lease at the end of term (June 2009). I was sent a letter stating please provide move out date, thanks, please make sure clean to have security deposit returned, etc. My apartment complex was owned by the Bethany Group, who filed Chapter 11 in March 2009. Notice was never made to tenants. I received a letter at the end of July stating that because of the bankruptcy, they could not return my security deposit. I filed a priority claim with the bankruptcy court in CA in August. How long does it take to receive any notice (if at all) from the filing? And is there any chance I will receive the security deposit back?
Thanks for all help.

Notice will depend on how packed the court is. They are packed right now. You will probably eventually get your check back. That's the best I can tell you. Sorry.

I was trying to find the thanks button - browser issue. Thanks again. I'm trying to figure out the pacer stuff to see if I can get updates on just my filing - be nice to know how the molasses is flowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back