Landlord got an offer from buyer but i have a leasse until Mar. 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jphat

Hello!

I am currently renting in Massachusetts. My landlord is selling our condo unit. Now his realtor called me to inform that they finally have an offer, and if the owner accepted it will take awhile for it to take place.

My leasse does not end until end of March 2010. Can they evict us before the leasse ended? Or do i have a right to fight for this? If plan to stay there until the end of my leasse because we do not have the money for the new place. Also do i get my security deposit back? What can i do? Or what agreement should i handed to both buyer & landlord if they want us out early?

I gladly appreciete any advice i can get.

Thank you.

NO the lease is binding to new owner. Now if new owner has other plans for place he/she can offer you a "cash for keys" deals. Unless you breach lease they cannot force you to move

Thank you for the quick response. Do i also get my security deposit back? Or does he have the right to keep my security deposit?

The previous owner should "roll over" the security deposit to the new owner (although this issue is often overlooked).

As with the previous owner whether you get your security deposit when you leave depends on whether you have left the rental unit with damages above normal wear and tear (or owed late fees for example).

If you do the "cash for keys" route, make certain you mention your security deposit.

Gail

Leases usually have a "out" clause for both the tenant and the landlord. Check your lease to see if they can terminate the lease early under any circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back