Landlord harrassment; afraid & single; good faith rent pd 4 mos advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy2beme

hi there.
I'm happy to have found a place where I may be able to get some answers to a very uncomfortable renting situation that I'm in. In midst of divorce from abusive husband; left him after putting up with abuse, being locked in bedroom, etc, seriously.Rented studio apt. above acquaintance/attorney's office. Agreed on rent; paid in full for 4 months in advance, Dec. 1st, 2009. Got receipt two weeks later. Atty/landlord tells me: 'use anything you need from our offices/break/supply rooms. use washer/dryer downstairs/anytime you need anything, come help yourself'. Me, being naive? believes it.Landlord still has no lease; yells at me for having a cigarette, blowing out my kitchen window while moving in. Landlord's wife says 'blow it out the window', landlord says 'as long as i can't smell it, fine'. Still no lease. No key to interior apt. door, one key for private exterior entrance. Office has full access to my interior door but I have no key. Weeks go by, still no key. landlord says 'your welcome to use any furniture up here on your floor. i use it, he yells. he comes in without calling first; snooping constantly, sniffing. I ask him to leave because he makes me nervous. he tells me 'you're cute'. he gets mad, leaves. I go downstairs to get cleaning supplies as i was told i could, alarm goes off. i panic, call police and landlord. landlord yells at me, even though he never told me alarm was set. police come, no big deal. i came home late at nite one night, lost key. call landlord, he yells at me, 'i'm going to kick you out of there sooner or later!' i ask why? all i've done is try to live here peacefully. I then ask him to give me my money back and he verbally agreed. give me key. a month goes by, finally get key. constantly barging in on me without calling first. strange cars in parking lot all hours of the night; makes me nervous. people sitting in cars in our private lot, waiting, it seems. I'm afraid to sleep; afraid to live here. I send numerous messages, letters, texts, voice mails to landlord/his wife/his secretary, asking for meeting. no response, ever. Finally, left one last letter this morning with his secretary, telling him that i want to terminate my rental and collect the rent that i paid in advance, prorated to the day i move out. I left for the day, came home, and found an official envelope on my steps. Thinking it was my rent money, open it and it is a letter stating that he is evicting me at the end of march, which is when my next rent payment is due! this man is driving me absolutely crazy. I believe there is either illegal drug trafficking going on here at all hours of the night, adultery, who knows? I can't sleep, I'm afraid to even have a visitor over. These people have been playing these games with me for 5 weeks now, and I'm at a loss of what to do! I found a safe, secure home to live in, and just want out. he scares me. I sleep with the lights on every night. Any advice? I'm in Michigan, and need help asap. thanks so much.

If you never signed a lease then you should default to a month to month agreement. Give him 30 days notice that you are moving and ask for your prorated refund. If he refuses to refund the money you can settle it in small claims. You should get it back. You don't have to actually wait 30 days if you don't feel safe. Leave as soon as you want, but as far as refunding your money goes, it should get prorated at the end of 30 days notice.
In the mean time, nobody should be coming into your living area that you rent without your permission or in case of emergency. Tell him to get out and mean it. As a landlord, he can get himself in a bind for violating tenants rights.

thank you so much. I am out; have moved home with my folks for the time being. I left with no forewarning to him, but did keep him updated on my move the week I was moving my things out. I am working on the rough draft of a letter to him, requesting my prorated refund. I have no money and am seeking work at the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back