Landlord losing property for non-payment of taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelestuckey

My son received a letter yesterday Tuesday, July 6, 2010 from the landlord stating that due to non-payment of taxes, the landlord's property was going to be sold on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at an auction.

The letter noted that on Thursday, July 8, 2010 the landlord intended to enter the premises and remove all of the appliances, refrig, stove etc. and on Tuesday, July 13,2010 they intended to have all utilities turned off to the building.

The landlord knew that he was losing the property, yet he made all of the tenants, in the 6 apartment building, pay the rent without any previous notice to them. When my son called the landlord to ask about getting back the rent- pro-rated of course, and the security deposit he was told that the landlord had no intention of giving the money back.

Is there anything my son can do to get his money back. He needs that money to put down as a security on a new apartment.

Please advise as time is of the essence.
Thank you,
Michele

My son received a letter yesterday Tuesday, July 6, 2010 from the landlord stating that due to non-payment of taxes, the landlord's property was going to be sold on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at an auction.

The letter noted that on Thursday, July 8, 2010 the landlord intended to enter the premises and remove all of the appliances, refrig, stove etc. and on Tuesday, July 13,2010 they intended to have all utilities turned off to the building.

The landlord knew that he was losing the property, yet he made all of the tenants, in the 6 apartment building, pay the rent without any previous notice to them. When my son called the landlord to ask about getting back the rent- pro-rated of course, and the security deposit he was told that the landlord had no intention of giving the money back.

Is there anything my son can do to get his money back. He needs that money to put down as a security on a new apartment.

Please advise as time is of the essence.
Thank you,
Michele

The landlord has no right to enter your son's home and take anything.
Even when the property is sold, the leasehold that your son possesses is still valid.
That goes for the leasehold of every other tenant, too.
None of them have to move, or permit the landlord to take their appliances.
Those appliances will eventually become the property of the new owner.

If the landlord attempts to do any of those things, the tenants should call the police.
The tenants do not have to leave.
Their leases are secure until, they expire, if not longer!

If the utilities are turned off, that is illegal and retaliatory.
Your son should take that letter to whatever authority protects such tenant righst in his city.
He might start with a call to Legal Aid or City Hall to find out how to proceed.
They should also call a local radio or tv station and the newspaper.
The landlord is out of his mind if thinks he can get away with this.
The tenants are, too, if they abide by it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back