Landlord not making repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliot250

My jurisdiction is: Texas

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hi! We recently moved into an older house with many needed repairs. We have to fight for our landlord to make repairs, including sending certified letters and threatening to move out. We are tired of having to fight for every repair we request.

The garage door was hit and dented by a previous tenant causing the threshold to not sit flush against the ground in the area below the dent. As a result, any time it rains, water drains into our garage and pools. The water is not just at the edge of the garage door; it is approx. six feet into the garage and about 3-4 feet wide in diameter (after a 30 minute rain). I am concerned that myself or my children will slip and fall on the water.

I have requested the landlord to repair the problem. They have said that because the garage is not a liveable area, they are not obligated to make repairs. I believe that because the issue creates a health and/or safety hazard, they are still required to make the repairs.

Our lease is a standard Texas Association of Realtors lease following the Texas Property Code. Does our landlord have an obligation to make repairs or can we seek legal remedies (as provided by the Prop Code) in this instance?

Thank you!

You can certainly contact your local Code Enforcement office and see what they have to say about this (although I suspect they will tell you what the landlord has said).

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back