Landlord problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristinb89

My boyfriend and I have been renting a house now for almost 6 months on a year lease and 4 months ago we had a baby. The house is a small one bedroom with no room at all, we have tried to call the landlord but no answer we have also written letters and left voicemails to them and they have yet to respond the problem is that the house is very small and with the baby we have NO room and she will be crawling soon with no where to go. The heater is also very unsafe for a crawling baby it is not covered at the bottom, we also have a little bit of a bug problem roaches and spiders. All that we are really wanting to do is try to upgrade through the same company but without them answering we cant do that. We are desperate to get out of this house and we are really wanting to know if there is any possible way of getting out our lease early.

Sure, break your lease and pay the fee to do so. Having a baby isn't sufficient cause to get you out of the lease without paying the penalty. You are at least 4 months in, surely you don't have very long to wait. Why did you not consider this when you signed the lease?

Read your lease. In the case of companies that handle large units, they will sometimes include a "buy out" fee for breaking a lease early. This is often several months rent and loss of the security deposit. This allows the landlord/management time to find new tenants without a loss of revenue.

If no buy out, you remain responsible for the rent through the remainder of the lease. As previously mentioned, having a baby is not a legal reason to break the lease.

Does your lease allow you to sublet the unit; i.e., find suitable tenants to take over your lease?

Gail

Im aware that having a baby isnt a cause to get out of the lease but if you only knew how small this house really is! and i just moved into the house, my boyfriend rented it when we were not together so he didnt consider the baby...

Kristin, I have SIX children, I'm well aware of what it's like to raise one. My youngest child still lives in the bedroom with us because that is the easiest way to do it anyway. (I have a 5 bedroom house). You will survive. How long do you have left on your lease? I would go to the landlord instead of calling. It's hard to ignore someone standing in your face.

Have you knocked on Landlord's door to talk? The only way out of your lease is for you and the Landlord to agree. Expect this to cost you some dough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back