Landlord provided Security Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrureal

I am a landlord of single family rental property in Houston. Each of the exterior door has a deadbolt lock that can be opened by key from outside and turnkey latch (keyless) from inside...pretty std locks you find in hardware store. Does this suffice the landlord's provided security device (deadbolt) requirement per the Texas property code Sec. 92.153 ...subsection (2) and (5)?
statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.92.htm#92.153

What is creating a confusion is the subsection (5) stating the a keyless bolting device. why is there two subsection (2) ans (5)stating the same thing. Does anyone know what it means?

My Tenant is insisting that she wants another deadbolt that can be latched from inside with no keys from the outside? Don't know how to accomplish this. I have not seen any deadbolt in Home Depot, Lowes, Ace and other hardware store that can be used only from inside without any mechanism to open from outside.

There are many twist tumbler deadbolts that are sold.
They have a keyhole device that allows you to use a key to lock them from the inside and outside.
I haven't looked for locks in years.
I suggest you simply Google the term for examples.
We have them on our doors, but rarely use them.
They range from inexpensive ($20) on up to a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

OP, here are some names of locks that provide the protection your tenant seeks.

Kwikset 816 15 SMT Key Control Deadbolt, Satin Nickel

$30 online

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=BZdBT-_hLeXg2AX3ufznBA&ved=0CH8Q8wIwAQ

C.R. LAURENCE SK5 - CRL Keyed Dead Bolt Lock

$15 online

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=BZdBT-_hLeXg2AX3ufznBA&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAM

Schlage B60N619 Deadbolt, Keyed 1 Side, Satin Nickel
by Schlage
4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews) |
Color Name:
List Price: $54.00
Price: $35.49 Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.
You Save: $18.51 (34%)

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-B60N619-Deadbolt-Keyed-Nickel/dp/B0030ZWEME

Thank you for responding. But, I don't see any difference between the locks that you are suggesting and the lock that is installed at our rental house. The one I have installed is a deadbolt that can only be opened by key from the outside and the turn button (keyless) from the inside.

My question was related to the the Texas property code Sec. 92.153 ...subsection (2) and (5). As I read the code and compare it with the locks installed at my rental home, I feel that I have met the requirements. Can you please suggest, if I am missing anything.

Thank you for responding. But, I don't see any difference between the locks that you are suggesting and the lock that is installed at our rental house. The one I have installed is a deadbolt that can only be opened by key from the outside and the turn button (keyless) from the inside.

My question was related to the the Texas property code Sec. 92.153 ...subsection (2) and (5). As I read the code and compare it with the locks installed at my rental home, I feel that I have met the requirements. Can you please suggest, if I am missing anything.

Here's the difference, and why some people want keyed (not keyless) deadbolt locks.

Most doors have glass.

It is a very simple matter for a burglar to smash the glass, reach inside the door, turn the knob on the keyless deadbolt, enter and rip off stuff.

That is the thinking.

If you have a fire door, one without windows, either lock should work.

I don't think the law in any state is specific enough (nor can the state dictate the specific purchase) to say what type of security lock, by what manufacturer a landlord must provide.

If it were me, I'd buy a lousy $30 lock, have it installed, and keep my GOOD tenant satisfied.

I've done this in the past for properties I own and rent.

Well, I've allowed my management agent to have it done.

Better an ounce of prevention, than a pound of cure.

Or, I'd suggest to the tenant, that she/he has my permission to retain a locksmith and have a lock of their choosing installed at their expense. I would only require them to provide me with a duplicate key.

Do you really want to fight about this?

A Keyless device would be one which has a thumb-turn on the inside with a deadbolt latch. The hole doesn't get drilled all the way thru the door. It's Also known as a One-sided deadbolt. This gets installed above the regular deadbolt on door. If the tenant is home and locks it, someone with a key still wouldn't be able to get in. kinda like how the chains worked.
Iv'e installed plenty. Search for Kwikset 663 One-sided Deadbolts to see pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back