Landlord refuses to fix problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdgmommy

My husband and I moved into the downstairs apartment of a 2-family house. As in our lease, we are entitled to use the left side of the garage and the basement for personal storage. In July (2009), our basement flooded with more than 10 inches of water, ruining everything we had stored down there. Our insurance told us they didn't cover flood damage, and we don't have a problem with that. However, when we told the landlord (and his wife) about the flooding, he told us that we have to clean it up ourselves and that they will not fix the problem unless it happens again. They then told us to buy shelving to protect our belongings. We found out a week later that all of the houses in the neighborhood always flood during heavy rains, and that the landlord knew about the problem for more than 10 years. They did not tell us about this. It has since flooded again, and they just blow it off by saying, "Just mop it up..." Also, included in our lease is a washer and dryer, but the washer is on a wooden box-like structure that has rotted away due to continued flooding. The washing machine can no longer be used because there is no way to balance it properly on the rotting wood. We have brought this problem to the landlord's attention many times, and his response is always that we have to balance it ourselves. As I mentioned, there is no way to balance it. The left side of the washing machine is about 3-4 inches higher than the right side.

The upstairs neighbor keeps going onto our front porch and looking in the windows at night. There is no access to her apartment from the front porch, and both the upstairs and downstairs have separate porches. When I mentioned this to the landlord, he said, "I'll just send someone over there to look in your windows and you won't know about it, so it won't bother you." He then began laughing at me when I told him I felt uncomfortable living there.

Also, how much time is required by the landlord to give notice that he will be entering our rented apartment? He told me, "I will be there in a couple of days" and hung up the phone. He didn't specify a date or a time. Does this count as sufficient notice?

We would move out, but our lease is not up until January 1, 2010. Also, we have poor credit after this year's economic stress and due to medical bills for my disabled son and disabled husband. Is there anything we can do about all of these landlord problems when we have no where else to go? :mad:

Last edited:
If houses in the area flood, there is likely little or nothing the landlord can do about this. The suggestion regarding shelving is a good one, especially since it appears that flooding is a common problem in the area. I've bought inexpensive "put it together yourself" shelving at our local Lowes.

Sounds like a pallet would solve the tilting washer issue.

If you find the neighbor looking into your windows, call the police and report them. Do you have shades or blinds on these windows or perhaps curtains that can be closed at night?

States require "reasonable" notice for a landlord to enter a rental unit; reasonable notice is considered to be 24 hours. An exception for this would be if there in an emergency where the landlord must get in immediately. A specific date and time need not be provided, although it would be polite to do so, just to make certain you'll be home.

Gail

We do have curtains, and have been keeping them tightly closed. However, what I find most disturbing is the my landlord's reaction to the problem when he told me he would have someone look in our windows without us knowing. That really creeps me out and has me worried. Why would someone say that they'll have someone look in our windows? This is very uncomfortable, and I don't know what to make of it.

It is quite likely your landlord thought when you contacted him regarding the other tenant peeking in the window "just what do you think I can do about this?"

If your curtains are closed all the time, then it seems that no one is going to try looking into the windows more than once.

Gail

We began closing them tight after we caught the neighbor.
Washer update- this morning, after my landlord insisted we can still use it, I said fine- I'll give it a go. Sure enough, it fell completely off of the wooden base and now he is threatening to take it out of our deposit unless we buy a brand new one. That washer was about 20 years old (according to my mother, who had the same exact one back in the late 80's). I'm beginning to think this guy is a total nut-case!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back