Landlord Tenant Confidentiality

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondacooper

I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy and included my june 2014 rent (with my landlord's knowledge). Fast Forward to November 2014. One of my neighbors mother asked me about the apartment complex. I was honest. I live in one of the worse neighborhoods (due to my credit), my landlord is a slumlord (although I did not say that). I did tell her to look at the state of the complex, I'm surprised it hasn't been closed down. WhenI moved in the carpet was filthy, he cut squares from another apartment to put in mine, the refrigerator didn't work and there was hair, combs and filth in the bathroom drawers. Well, unbeknownst to me she talked to him because her son and one of her nieces lives there as well and had similar but worse complaints. Well he told the person that i filed bankruptcy and had I not been two months behind in my rent (which I wasn't, only one), he would fix things. I felt that he breached confidentiality as that was not her business. It was also not completely accurate. Are there any laws that protect my confidentiality?

I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy and included my june 2014 rent (with my landlord's knowledge). Fast Forward to November 2014. One of my neighbors mother asked me about the apartment complex. I was honest. I live in one of the worse neighborhoods (due to my credit), my landlord is a slumlord (although I did not say that). I did tell her to look at the state of the complex, I'm surprised it hasn't been closed down. WhenI moved in the carpet was filthy, he cut squares from another apartment to put in mine, the refrigerator didn't work and there was hair, combs and filth in the bathroom drawers. Well, unbeknownst to me she talked to him because her son and one of her nieces lives there as well and had similar but worse complaints. Well he told the person that i filed bankruptcy and had I not been two months behind in my rent (which I wasn't, only one), he would fix things. I felt that he breached confidentiality as that was not her business. It was also not completely accurate. Are there any laws that protect my confidentiality?

A bankruptcy is a public filing, as its public record.

One is free to search PACER.

Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) is an electronic public access service that allows users to obtain case and docket information online from federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts, and the PACER Case Locator.

https://www.pacer.gov/

In fact, YOU can try it and see for yourself.

You can even review your own BK filing.

Nope, nothing to see here, nothing to do here, anymore than you bad mouthing the landlord.

You are entitled to your opinion, and the landlord is entitled to his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back