landlord threatened to evict out of anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

missnapoletana

My jurisdiction is: Connecticut

I am currently renting an apartment which includes a dishwasher, a washing machine and a dryer. I've only been here a month and a half when the washing machine breaks and water comes out from the bottom causing the carpet to become a soppy mess. I immediately informed my landlord who happens to be a plumber. I assumed that he would care about the fact that there was a big water mess in his house and come and remedy the situation a.s.a.p. Two days later (after I left several messages) he did send one of his employees who put down a fan and blower and said that the washing machine needed to be replaced since it was not repairable. My landlord kept telling me that he would be bringing me the new washing machine "today; if not today, then tomorrow"; but days and days have passed and I never bothered going to the laundromat since he kept stringing me along. Today, Friday, the landlord called me to tell me that it would arrive on Monday around noon. When I simply asked him if there was anything he could do to get it any sooner he completely flipped out on me and told me that he didn't have to replace it at all as it was there for me to use as a convenience. I told him that I when I accepted the rental agreement to pay "x" amount per month it was because it included a washing machine. This statement led to a very ugly screaming match which concluded with me telling him that I would move out, and he telling me that he was going to evict me. Though I don't believe that he can evict me just because he got heated up, I do believe that he might be spiteful and not replace the washing machine.

Two questions: Do I have to put up with a landlord who threatens to evict me over nothing? What can I do in the event that he does not replace the washing machine after this blowout?

Let's flip this the other way around. You initiated his response because you told him you'd move out (i.e., breaking any written lease you had). He responded in kind.

If you believe you don't have to put up with a landlord who threatens to evict you over nothing...and you do have a written lease and break it by moving out (I suspect you only said this out of frustration and anger) than you do face the risk of some legal responses for doing so (i.e., losing your security deposit, being sued for owed rent, etc.). Not things you really want to get into.

Was does your lease say in regards to providing a washing machine?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back