Landlord wants to take deposit for something we did not cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoodgexl

I'll be honest up front, we were four college kids renting a house, one way or another we ended up with a hole in the wall, that we paid to be repaired, and admitting he is right to charge us to re-wallpaper the area, no other damage has been caused by us, now onto my problem.

The floor in the kitchen is tile and began to crack after or because of water seeping up from the floor. We informed the landlord 6 months ago of the problem, when it started, he came he looked at it and left. The problem has continued on and off the past 6 months. Now he is claiming we caused the damage and taking our security deposit. Would not his insurance cover the problem if it is indeed, as I have been told by a contractor, a problem with the underlying slab and/or piping? I can't but help thinking he's trying to pocket the money. In addition he is trying to charge us for carpet cleaning, despite there being no stains on the carpet, a new paint job (we inherited the house with a very old paint job that was nicked and scratched in various places), and to have the house cleaned. Can he legally do any of these things? If not, what is my next step?

Last edited:
Did you notify him in writing regarding the cracked tile on the floor so you have documentation that you did this?

Carpet cleaning is commonly done between tenancies. Often a tenant is required to do this before they move out or they will face charges taken from their security deposit if the landlord is left to do the cleaning.

If you disagree with what the landlord has taken out of your security deposit, you send him a letter stating this and "demand" he return the amount of your security deposit you believe you are fairly owed by a specific date.

If he doesn't you then consider whether it is worth your time and effort to file a lawsuit against him for this amount. Most of these cases are handled in Small Claims Court where an attorney is not required.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back