Landlord won't replace carpet

• Thread Starter bsage1987@gmail
  • Start date
B

bsage1987@gmail

Jurisdiction
Indiana
After an $800 security deposit, We just rented a home and upon move in was told if we wanted the carpets cleaned we'd have to do it ourselves and pay for the Cleaning Solutions with no reimbursement or deductions from our rent. He left his shampooer that i was unable to be use because he did not have all the required parts to the machine to properly/effectively clean the carpets. there is one room in particular that is causing major distress. A room I spend 9.51 hours in just on carpet. I shampooed the carpet with a Rug Doctor I rented 8 times I followed through with a very hot tap water rinse and had to follow through again with a scented hot water rinse the water was still coming out mucky and dirty. The carpet has a very horrible and strong smell of wet dog. I brought this to my landlord's attention 3 weeks ago and let him know my three young boys sleep in that room. We just heard back from him yesterday that he will not change out the carpet until next year. I cannot have my children(8 months, 2 years, 8 years) living in these conditions. We do not even own a dog and the smell is so strong that my children cannot even leave the house without their clothes smelling like wet dog. Do I have the right to hire a professional carpet installator and deduct it from my next month's rent?

Removing urine stains and the resulting stench from a carpet is extremely difficult, in most cases, impossible.

You can hire a professional carpet cleaner, many if whom claim they can often remediate urine stains and odors.

No, you have no right to withhold rent to reimburse yourself for carpet cleaning.

You failed to notice this before you signed the lease.

The easiest solution, see if you can find a reputable commercial carpet cleaner, hire him or her, improve your living conditions.

Back