Landlord's possible illegal contract with neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyssooners

We moved into a home here in Lampasas, TX at the end of OCT. We pay our rent through a realitor on a 6 month lease. In December, our realitor moved a woman into a small house/apartment that used to be a garage for the house we are living in. We were in OK for 2 weeks of December and turned all of our power off before leaving and the woman was moved in shortly after we left. However, when we received the utility bill for that billing period, it had doubled from the previous month, even with us being gone for 13 days of that billing period. Our water somehow managed to stay the same as well, even with us not being here for 13 days. We didn't think much of it until the day before yesterday, when it occurred to my wife that our neighbor in the apartment next door may be getting her power from us. I walked around her residence and realized that she does not have a meter. Long story short, yes the realitor knowingly allowed her to move in "utilities free" for 300 a month, knowing that it would be me paying the utilities. I went to the Lampasas City office and found out that my next bill is 900 dollars. I nearly passed out. I collected up my documentation and presented it to my landlord and she stated that she really didn't think it would be that big of a deal, and didn't expect it to really effect our electric bill. I may not be the brightest, but I'm pretty sure this was illegal, correct? She offered me a check for 300 dollars but I didn't take it, because I wasn't sure if that would put me into some sort of contract or agreement with this action. I just need some quick advise, like should I cut this girls power off, and can she kick me out of my 6 month lease if she is the one that breaks the agreement? I know that if I cut the breaker to that apartment the landlord will be pissed but it is my dime. And it will put her in breach of contract with that girl.

she stated that she really didn't think it would be that big of a deal, and didn't expect it to really effect our electric bill.
I've heard some dumb landlord stories but this is something else. Now that she knows, I presume she proposes to pay you back the extra utilities charges you incurred and reduce your rent in the future by the amount being leeched, correct?
I'm pretty sure this was illegal, correct?
I'm not sure of the law in Texas, but where I come from it is a breach of the tenancy laws to rent a unit that is not separately metered or governed by a ratio system of some sort. Maybe your landlord has breached some law against reselling public utilities as well (although it sounds like maybe they're not "selling" it per se).
should I cut this girls power off, and can she kick me out of my 6 month lease if she is the one that breaks the agreement?
If there is no reason why you shouldn't turn the power off, I'd say it's within your rights to do so. It's your rental property, and you control the power in it. I guess the answer depends on whether you want to stay there or not. I'd let your landlord know: either she agrees to pay the other tenants share of the utilities, she immediately lets you out of the lease and pays your moving costs, or you flip the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back