Landord wants second security deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceharon

I live in mobile home park in Colorado. My landlord wants me to sign a new month-to-month lease. However, she wants to collect as second $300 security deposit, as part of the new lease. We had to pay a security deposit 12 yrs ago, before we could move our house into the park. Can the landlord ask for a second security deposit?

Thanks

I live in mobile home park in Colorado. My landlord wants me to sign a new month-to-month lease. However, she wants to collect as second $300 security deposit, as part of the new lease. We had to pay a security deposit 12 yrs ago, before we could move our house into the park. Can the landlord ask for a second security deposit?

Thanks

First of all, you have no written lease.

You are on a month to month tenancy, which is a creature of Colorado state law.

That is because the law allows no oral agreements where property is concerned.

What your landlord is proposing is illegal.

Your security deposit is $300.

That deposit can be raised, but you'd have to sign a new lease.

This would not be a lease on a month to month basis.

Most Colorado cities have housing or tenant's assistance offices.

You might consult with them about your landlord's potential abuse (or avoidance) of Colorado's Security Deposit Law.

Colorado Statutes – Title 38 – Article 12 – Tenant and Landlord
SECURITY DEPOSITS - WRONGFUL WITHHOLDING
MOBILE HOME PARK ACT

http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Colorado/crs/index.html

We're still trying contact them in person. We call and leave messages, but she's not too keen on speaking with us in person.

UPDATE:
I've talked with my neighbors, and they are having similar issues. They are being asked for anything form new lease, new deposit, new application for residency. This only seems to be taking place with the longer term residents. We are now starting to suspect that park mark management has lost our personal information, and is attempting to reconstitute their records. Park management refuses to say why they need this information a second time. Are there state/federal laws that required disclosure of private information loss?

Don't sign anything. Don't give them any information you are not comfortable giving. If they won't give you reasons, then they really shouldn't expect much cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back