Leaking ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

newloveminka

I moved into an apartment on the 1st floor 8 months ago. Since I moved in the bathroom upstairs has leaked urine into my bathroom 3 times damaging clothes and other bathroom items. The bathroom has not leaked for a couple months but then my kitchen ceiling started leaking. The landlord told the woman upstairs that she could install a washer and dryer in her kitchen. It has caused leaking into my kitchen 5 times. Each time I contacted the landlord and he came to the apartment and claimed he fixed the problem but it keeps happening. All of my dishes, pot, pans, and utensils have been ruined. I informed the landlord that if the problem persists I will have to move out. We also had a problem with mice when we moved in and the landlord got the apartment exterminated but then I found several dead mice in my kitchen and my daughters room. How can I get out of my lease? Also I have section 8.

The attached may help you with your decision on whether you should move. It reviews breaking a lease in New Jersey because of bad conditions. If you decide to do this, make sure you have adquate documentation should the landlord turn around and sue you for owed rent:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/chapterfive/index.cfm

The issue is not that repairs must be made but rather whether, when notified, the landlord addresses these repair issues satisfactorily.

As to the issue of finding dead mice; your landlord responded to your complaints of mice, had the apartment exterminated. Extermination kills the critters and (hopefully) provides a barrier to them not returning. It would, therefore, make sense that you might find dead mice after the exterimination process.

Gail

In addition, have you discussed the condition of your ceiling with your Section 8 caseworker?

I can't imagine a rental unit passing Section 8 inspection with such a ceiling.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back