Leaking Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrienne

I am a tenant who rents an apartment in Lynwood CA. I have been here since March of 2010. Several days after moving in the owner called another property manager and informed her that the roof was leaking, she then called and informed me if this proved to be a problem then call maintenance.
As it's been a very rainy season I've had to call maintenance over 7 times since March.
Maintenance does come each time I call; however, they are only able to offer quick fixes not a permanent solution i.e. buckets, mop up water and at my request they finally put up a tarp.
All of these have failed to fix the problem and as a result my apartment is not a safe place to reside.
Because of the water damage they've had to disconnect the smoke dectector and remove light fixtures. What are my legal rights - can I withhold rent?

Refer to this resource for help.

I suggest you do not withhold rent. Make sure that you have properly notified the landlord of the problem (which essentially is written notice).
The landlord then must make the repair in a reasonable time period.
Though you can say the landlord is aware of the problem, I doubt you have given formal notice in the proper manner. Do so.

If you believe you are owed money because you are overpaying rent due to the condition of the apartment, your solution is within the civil court. You can bring an action in small claims and you will not need an attorney... just documentation and a bit of confidence.

Do this now. Mold is probably building up which can be harmful to anyone who lives there. Give the written notice and keep on them to fix the leak. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back